the universe move outword how?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

the universe move outword how?

Postby solodeath » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:26 pm

if the universe by definition, includes everything that exists. then how can it move outword? dont u need "space" to move outword? if space and time was created at the big bang, then.....????
solodeath
Dionian

Re: the universe move outword how?

Postby jinydu » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:49 pm

solodeath wrote:if the universe by definition, includes everything that exists. then how can it move outword? dont u need "space" to move outword? if space and time was created at the big bang, then.....????

No, you don't need space in order to move outwards. In some sense, you can think of it as "space is created as you go".
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby solodeath » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:19 pm

no i mean how could u move if there is no place to move. unless it is made from nothing. but how could anything be made from nothing?
solodeath
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:38 am

Space-time itself is expanding. You don't need empty space to expand into.

Go read up on General Relativity if you're really interested...
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby solodeath » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm

where dose it expent? from what u said it seems like it expend because it just dose...

how dose General Relativity have to do with this?
solodeath
Dionian

Postby houserichichi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:36 am

General relativity is essentially the macroscopic study of spacetime. If space is "expanding" then you're talking the world of Einstein.

As for what space is expanding into, I'm sorry to say that there's no nice answer unless you know a little bit of advanced math - the best we can say is that space doesn't NEED something to expand into...it's not like anything we experience in the "normal" world.

You blow up a balloon and it expands, but that's because there is space for the balloon to expand into. Well what happens when the space itself is expanding? That's where the math is required, so unfortunately you just have to take our word for it...but if you want some sites I might be able to find a decent one that'll help you along!!! Let me know if I was confusing in my wording - sometimes I don't get things out properly the first time :wink:
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby solodeath » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:45 am

ya a site will help, thx.
how would the space itself creat itself? try use math to explan it to me. thx
another question, is not that i dont belive you, but if the big bang is true and space and time was "made". at time= 0 then space = 0, and at time = more then 0, then space would be more then 0. now my question is how dose time move foword? caz to me time and space link on to each other.
solodeath
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:13 am

The mathematics of General Relativity is very advanced, and usually not taught until graduate school. But if you wanted some starting point, you could look at:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics ... ivity.html

But be careful. Some results on that site have been tested more rigorously than others.

If you do a Google search on "General Relativity", you will probably get thousands of sites; some more reliable than others.

However, for a topic this advanced, nothing can truly replace taking a course (or several courses) on General Relativity in university.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby brasileiro » Sun May 08, 2005 3:53 am

solodeath wrote:ya a site will help, thx.
how would the space itself creat itself? try use math to explan it to me. thx
another question, is not that i dont belive you, but if the big bang is true and space and time was "made". at time= 0 then space = 0, and at time = more then 0, then space would be more then 0. now my question is how dose time move foword? caz to me time and space link on to each other.

Ok, let's see what I can pull from this... to you, time and space are linked together... hmmm, I guess it would be like a 3-legged race... Time being one "person" and Space being another. As one moves, it forces the other to move as well. And since Time is constant and never stops, then Space is forced to continue and never stop. If you are Christian, Time never began, so this just becomes even more confusing to you. Because in the Christian religion, Time never began but space did (relatively speaking). God created everything. Like I said, it just becomes very confusing at this point because you try and justify for something nobody can explain... and you justify to the best of your knowledge. Don't worry, I do it too... :lol:
brasileiro
Dionian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions