How is Curved space made?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

How is Curved space made?

Postby PhysicsWiz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:28 pm

Is it true that the curve of space depends on the strength of gravity at that point of space, will the curve have a small circumference if the gravity is at at a large measure?

Also does light bend around these curves?
PhysicsWiz
Mononian

Postby jinydu » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:42 pm

Before I post anything else, let me just say that this thread belongs in the Relativity section.

Yes, according to General Relativity, gravity curves spacetime (more precisely, it changes the metric of spacetime). Furthermore, the stronger the gravity, the greater the curvature.

Light travels through the shortest path through spacetime, which, in the presence of a gravitational field, is curved.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:33 pm

Topic has been moved ;)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 pm

In fact not only light but also object travel at straight lines but through bent space it looks like the earth rotates around the sun, (or rather a common center of mass).
curved space allows us to see stars located behind the sun.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Curvature model

Postby wendy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:07 pm

The thing about curvature is that one must understand that all space is curved, even euclidean space.

When you want a curvature difference, what you do is to allow degrees to be longer than other ones. The tension of space then is based on the length of arc, rather than the angle.

So, on a side near a heavy body, the degrees are longer, as space is gathered in that region. So one would have a tension of space in that direction: ie gravity without force-at-a-distance.

It's an idea i have been toying with for several whiles now.

W
wendy
Pentonian

Postby houserichichi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:10 pm

A point that isn't directly related to the original post but something that is very important to keep in mind is that the curvature is an intrinsic property of space itself - it does not require space to curve "into" a higher-dimensional one.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby 3l3ctr0 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:21 am

so.... in other words you are saying that the entire universe is a sphere?
3l3ctr0
Dionian

Postby houserichichi » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:16 am

Not a sphere, but another curved shape. :lol:
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:01 am

When they talk of 'poincare dodecahedron' , what they're talking about is a spherical dodecahedron face from the twelfttchoron {5,3,3}, which forms an identity modulus group under the quaterions. [it's one of four polytopes that do, those of 8, 24, 48 and 120 faces.]

So yes, the current model of the universe is part of a sphere.

W
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby houserichichi » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm really not arguing for the sake of it, I just hadn't realized that this proposed model had been universally accepted or become standard yet - I must not be getting my memos :wink:

For the interested, here's a brief little tidbit on the Poincare dodecahedral universe
houserichichi
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions