how does matter get to singularity???

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Postby Rkyeun » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:55 am

Spinning Singularity: Every spinning singularity is a Ring Singularity instead of a Point Singularity. If it spins fast enough, the event horizon can actually deform into a torus.
Point Singularity's tetrashape = trispace Sphere, kata Funnel
Ring Singularity's tetrashape = trispace Torus, kata Funnel
That description doesn't quite do it justice, but it's a rather interesting shape to imagine.

As for putting your hand in, yes, making a larger black hole will let you get closer to the event horizon, but it still shouldn't let you get through. A theoretical rope with perfect tensile strength cannot even hold its own against the horizon. At the horizon, the opposing force needed to hold the katamost point of the rope in place is the same as the force needed to accelerate the mass of the katamost point of rope to the speed of light needed to put it in orbit about the horizon (and we all know accelerating mass to the speed of light doesn't happen). Or in other words, infinite tensile strength, just to hold your own at the event horizon. And our infinitely tensile rope will break an infinitessimal distance from the horizon where the infinities cancel, disintegrating.
So your hand, with less than infinite tensile strength has no chance, even if tidal forces don't crush and stretch it yet because the hole is very large. You simply don't have the tensile strength to give the infinite force to counteract the degrading orbit of your fingertips. As you approach the horizon you approach disintegration.

Hmm... this throws a wrench in my model, though. This assumes an orbit. In an orbit you'll be going fast enough as you slowly approach that time and lightspeed dilation form the cutting blade that shaves your hand off as you stick it in the horizon blender. But if you gave up all hope of escape and just plummeted in, you wouldn't be going that fast... yet. Give me a moment to figure this part out.

Okay, if you just fall straight in, you'll be going at a lower speed when you hit, which means that you don't have to accelerate part of you to lightspeed to keep up, which means it can stay attached. So now I get to chronical the lensing effect as it pertains to your field of vision!
Because we most definitely have gravity in this model, we do have a defined 'down' which I will be using. Down is not equivalent to kata, but the further you fall, the closer it gets.
As you fall down into the hole, you will see the hole expand and push the stars away. Not a one of them will wink out, because the star can radiate light up and around the horizon and hookshot it to you. This means that there will be an expanding black circle in front of you, and the entire universe will peel back away from it as you get closer.
As you continue to fall, the angle of the black circle will continue to expand to a hemisphere, gradually filling up half the sky. All of those directions are different flavors of down. If you want to get out, you have to aim for the half of the sky that still has universe smeared into it. As you fall further, the universe will shrink from a hemisphere behind you, contracting into a circle. That circle will shrink to a point, and then vanish.
You have just passed the event horizon. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Every direction you could even attempt to travel in is a different shade of down.

However, if you just fall in, you don't get to experiment with cutting your hand off by swiping it through the horizon.
In one sense, I'd like to go to a black hole and see what happens, because I'm curious, and want to experiment for myself.
In another sense... I so totally don't. Flesh is so UTTERLY fragile compared to so many of the forces at work in the universe.
In the words of Sid Meier: Yes, yes, we've all heard the philosophers babble about "oneness" being "beautiful" and "holy". But let me tell you that THIS kind of oneness certainly isn't pretty. And if you're not careful it will scare the /bejeezus/ out of you!
Rkyeun
Dionian

another thought

Postby zoralink » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:42 am

there was a minor dismissal of the concept of white holes earlier. I don't suppose that in saying I can imagine one in my head would give it the least bit of credibility.

But with so much of a lack of understanding of the fourth dimension we have as third dimensinal beings, maybe such a "backwards" universe is really another fold of the third dimension in the fourth.

Does that sound odd? I might have to clarify, but I remember once reading early into my study of the universe that there was a concept that the edge of the universe turns things around, and folds inward. I guess I think of a hole punched in a two dimensinal world in which a 2D person can fall into the "page" beneath.

ooo, That actually seemed to make less sense when I typed it just now than when it was in my head, but you see what I mean?
zoralink
Mononian

Postby jinydu » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:51 am

White holes are basically a mathematical concept that satisfy Einstein's equations. But so far, there's no experimental evidence that they actually exist.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby Rkyeun » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:04 am

A white hole can't exist because its "event horizon" would be the limit at which nothing could approach any closer. It would instantly rip itself asunder and disperse through the cosmos, and just as no force in the universe could stop the collapse of a black hole, nothing will stop the white hole's detonation. It will casually sweep aside all space, time, and matter in its way, forming a new universe. It is presumed that one named The Big Bang existed sometime near the beginning of our universe for a very brief time.
Rkyeun
Dionian

Previous

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions