Time only as backwars and forwards?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Time only as backwars and forwards?

Postby bgavran3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:54 pm

We all know we live in three dimensional world in which you can go forward, backwards, up, down left or right. We have a theory that there might more more or less dimensions. In more people could go in more directions, and in less, like two dimensional world, they could go in less directions, in this case two.

But why are we always reffering to time only as backwards and forward? Maybe there is up, down or left and right. Maybe time has its own dimensions? What if we're in 2d time? And if there is 1d time in which nothing would be happening. Or 3d time in which... well, I dont know what could happen in 3d time, as 2d beigns cant imagine a 3d world. Or even 4 dimensional time? 5?

Or I could be completely wrong because you can only go forward and backwars in time.
btw. how can you go backwards in time? No one actually managed to do that and there is no proof that we can go backwards. But there isn't anything that would tell us otherwise so... I guess its possible but not yet acomplished
bgavran3
Mononian

Re: Time only as backwars and forwards?

Postby papernuke » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 pm

True, no one has went backwards in time, but "backwards" time may be used as a reference to the present/future.
for example math.
a ball was dropped two seconds "ago".
the ball has "been falling" for 3 seconds.
the ball then "will" hit the ground in half a second.

.. lol grammar time.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby bgavran3 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:59 am

Ok, but what do you think about the theory I wrote^^?
bgavran3
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:43 am

bgavran3 wrote:But why are we always reffering to time only as backwards and forward? Maybe there is up, down or left and right. Maybe time has its own dimensions? What if we're in 2d time? And if there is 1d time in which nothing would be happening. Or 3d time in which... well, I dont know what could happen in 3d time, as 2d beigns cant imagine a 3d world. Or even 4 dimensional time? 5?

If this is your theory, then i dont think its true. I think time is only 1D, which means it is a line, you can go forewards or backwards in time, but that doesnt mean you can say "up" is also forewards, and "down" is backwards.
those are just different interpertations of time.
if there actually was 2+ dimensional time, then different multiverses would somehow be all crossing eachothers, colliding, etc.
because there would be more directions for the time to move, for example, if there was a "2D" time, then different time frames, which would probably be just 1D lines, would sometimes interact with eachothers, intersecting , whatever.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby zero » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:04 am

Look at the question from the perspective of an ordering relationship. When time signifies an order of events, this naturally evokes a one-dimensional concept. This happens "before" that, so that comes "after" this, or else they are simultaneous. Time is Newtonian, and applies universally in this simple way.

That elementary notion of time must be discarded with the introduction of Special Relativity. In spacetime, every event consists of both a specific time and specific place, and these events form a partial order. In other words, two events may have an order relationship or they may not (depending on whether they lie inside each other's light cones). In this bigger picture, Event A may not be before, after, or coincident with Event B. In that case, in the standard model, one could not possibly be the cause of the other.

Because the idea of time seems to be naturally connected with the concept of causality, we seem to be stuck with temporal relations being unidimensional, unless you can make some kind of sense out of multidimensional causality.
zero
Trionian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions