time

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

time

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:45 am

What is time? If it is a dimension, then would we be able to go into it and just stay there? Like one of our dimensions..? And why do people sometimes say the 4D is time?

How does time go forward? There is no force that propels it “forward”. But then what is forward? The actual forward could backwards or something.

And why do people mention time with only to directions forwards and backwards? Couldn’t there be more directions for time to go?..

If someone made a time-traveling device, how would it work?what functions does it need in order to work?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:17 am

You should read the book Spacetime Physics: Introduction to Special Relativity by Wheeler and Taylor

http://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-Physics-Edwin-F-Taylor/dp/0716723271

It's a great introduction to the subject with VERY LITTLE mathematics, and what math there is is simply high school algebra. Time is treated clearly in the book and I think you could follow the arguments fine. You're how old now, 12 or 13? If you get the book from your public library I will help you through the math part if it's too tough but if you honestly want to learn I say get the book and read it. Taylor and Wheeler are two of the three who wrote the general relativity bible, "Gravitation", so they know what they're talking about.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:47 pm

ok thanks :D ill try and find it next time i go to the library. and im 12

[edit/add on] HOLY CRAP it costs $52!!
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:10 am

this book is a textbook?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 am

I'd call it more an introduction to a proper textbook. It's not very mathematical so it won't teach you much besides main concepts, but you won't be able to see how things actually work.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions