Paradoxes

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

what do you think of this?

Yes
10%
No
50%
Maybe
10%
Something else would happen where you would die in some way
10%
Nothing would happen
20%

Total votes : 10

Paradoxes

Postby Myriaract » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Do you think if you time travel and run into yourself, (or make a paradox) you would cease to exist, and it (whatever you did) would have naver happened?
"There is such thing as a tesseract" Mrs. Whatsit - A Wrinkle in Time
Myriaract
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:47 am

No, only if you did something to your past like.. kill it or something.
then would you cease to exist-- as in you would die too.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Re: Paradoxes

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:24 pm

I don't see any "time travel is impossible" options...
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby ossium70 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:56 am

Okay, in order this to be a paradox you have to realize that first off if you travled back into time and killed your self. did you actually have the ability to travel back in time to kill yourelf. No you didn't cause inorder to kill yourself in the past you would have to exist in future and if your dead in the past you dont physically exist in the future. SO you have to ask your self did the sequence of events ever occure NO, so there for there is no paradox..

i think i drove my self crazy writing that!!!
ossium70
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:21 am

I adopt the DBZ approach of time travel, which is that if it /is/ possible in the first place, then anything you do while time traveling would occur in a separate timeline, therefore not affecting the universe you came from and causing no paradoxes.

Hey, it all works out :D
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Alex S » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:24 am

I see, as does Artemis Fowl, that if you are going to go back in time, you already have done what was going to be done. There would be no timeline damage because the past alteration event had already occurred, and would be effective on the party going back in time to alter the timeline because they would have been living in the altered timeline already.
90% of all statistics can be made to say anything, 50% of the time.

Hatman Approves!
Alex S
Mononian

Postby Max88831 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Do you think if you time travel and run into yourself, (or make a paradox) you would cease to exist, and it (whatever you did) would have naver happened?

What i belive would happen is that if you were to end your life from the roots, someone else would take your position in life and oyu would have never existed. This might not be true but I dont think that you would just cease to exist and all our friends would be short one friend. Its hard to explain but if oyu actually get what im rambling about it might make some sense. :XP:
Max88831
Mononian

Postby Sideshow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't think that would be possible, unless you placed yourself into another, alternate universe. Logically, the past has already occured. So, if you were to go back in time, you wouldn't be able to change anything, but you may be able to cause things that had already happened, but nothing "new". The paradox with Artemis Fowl is impossible, because nothing would cause the paradox besides the paradox itself. Events don't spontaneously create themselves, so the paradox is impossible.
Sideshow
Dionian

Postby tgm1024 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:24 pm

I believe that the notion of wandering around in time in a science fiction sense is completely missing multidimensional perspective.

The past and future per se, if viewed as merely another dimension are connected no differently than, say, the molecules of the table I'm at right now.

Complicated to view, and we lack the correct colloquialisms for this, but any travel in time has "already" been connected. If such a loop from the right side of my table to the left is already there then so be it. There is no paradox that the bowl of cereal on the right is somehow altered by one on the left.

We need to get rid of the notion of cause and effect if we are to talk about time travel.

To use incorrectly formed conversations (the only one that english allows) "there is no paradox possible. it would have 'worked itself out' already."
tgm1024
Nullonian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions