Simpler Universes

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Simpler Universes

Postby gonegahgah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

I realised that I've posted this in the wrong area so I've moved it here.
I originally posted it in: Higher Spatial Dimensions: Does the 4D Vortex have anything to do with 3D gravitation

Hi Sphericality. Sorry, I must have missed your earlier post.

From that link:
"Locality is the notion that particles can interact only from adjoining positions in space and time. And unitarity holds that the probabilities of all possible outcomes of a quantum mechanical interaction must add up to one. The concepts are the central pillars of quantum field theory in its original form, but in certain situations involving gravity, both break down, suggesting neither is a fundamental aspect of nature."
It is nice to see that some science is considering non-'locality'.
I can't say I am familiar with 'unitarity'.

Thank you for pointing out that link for me as an addition to other theories to be aware of.
I think we over emphasise some things (like 3 hard wired spatial dimensions dancing with time) in science so it is good to see scientists pulling at various threads to make progress...

The imagery is certainly pretty and may turn out to have some basis in reality. I can't say myself one way or another of course.
I don't believe that fields are material and we are just the manifestation of fields. I can now relate that this is part of that 'locality' that is craved by much of science where fields are the connectors or agents of 'locality'.
I believe fields are an effect only that is wonderfully non-local somehow. I know that can be an uncomfortable thought.

But, I also believe that there is no such thing as overlapping of 'material' such as light and the substance of matter.
And as I believe that ultimately everything devolves to only one single field (being super-gravity) then I don't have the difficulty of dealing with overlapping fields (magnetism, space-time, Higgs, and the others).
But back to the aspect of non-overlapping of material (the stuff that makes up both light and matter) I also don't believe in singularities.

To my mind there are only two significant forces in our universe.
As mentioned the first is super gravity. The second I believe is pressure.
It is these two fighting against each other that creates what I believe is our perpetual Universe.
What causes pressure in my mind is not just the effect of my super-gravity but is also the result of the material of the universe not being able to occupy the same point.

I don't believe black holes are special in this respect.
They can certainly pull things closer together than most other processes but never do I believe that they cause the material of the universe to ever occupy the same space.
If we could measure a black 'hole' I don't believe it would ever measure 0x0x0.

But I do feel they are an important process in the Universe.
Given enough time and material ultra massive black holes will get to a point where they are dealing with enough pressure tumult that they will blow themselves partially apart.
Even at those levels I believe pressure can eventually build to busting point.
Then a new part of the Universe begins on its new journey creating opportunities for such as us in our region of the Universe.

Pressure is why we have gas giants and not super solid planets. (Please add alternate reasons if it is otherwise).
It is ultimately pressure that gives us geysers, volcanoes, mass sun outpourings, and steam engines.
But certainly along the way there can be stable and semi-stable patterns such as atoms, molecules, rocky planets, etc.

Sorry for butting in. I mainly wanted to thank you for that link from a couple of years ago as I'm glad to see movement of some sort in other directions and not just total rigid adherence.
gonegahgah
Tetronian

Re: Simpler Universes

Postby John Done » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am

Physicists believe that our universe is one of an infinite number of universes. So, according to the results of a 2017 study, in the early stages of its development, our universe could collide with one of the parallel worlds, as evidenced by a mysterious "cold spot" that grows like a bubble from a vacuum.
John Done
Mononian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions