Theory of Time

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Theory of Time

Postby WhitePhoenix » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 pm

Unsure if this is the right place to post. Regardless I will post it.

Relative information: I'm a complete idiot who gets confused in Algebra 2, so for everyone who is actually a genuis if you feel it necessary just ignore this topic.

This theory is based of the assumption that geomotric dimensions are absolutes and are currently in a form of which humans have done the best to describe them.

Theory: I will explain the theory with an example, because I'm not clever enough to develop a way to put it into scientific terms.

Consider that there is a flowing stream of water coming down from a tap. The water stream is flowing down to a board, on the board there is an impact zone of a retardant material, lets just say its metal. This is the buffer zone, or null zone, everything out side that circumfurance is a material that would be stained by the water, but the water will stream right through it and out the opposite end. The water stream that impacts the null zone will splash off of it and onto a spot on the board, lets consider the stained spots the 2nd dimension, or possibility dimension (the water stream itself is the 1st dimension). Now will go to quantum phsyics, the act of observing is said to give a unusal outcome based on what happened previously. If any of you know of the double slit experiment, the act of observing will actually give the "expected" outcome. Lets say that the act of observing the 2nd dimension or the possiblities, will reduce what can actually happen, turnning some of the stain areas into unused or null making a new strain of stains, called the Probability Strain, or the 3rd dimension. The act of observing every possiblity turns it into probability and the observor will pick his desired or expected outcome. The 4th dimension, could be explained as the water as it goes through the board and out the other end, or the the water stuck to the null zone, or the water that is streaming out the opposite end of the board. The theory represents time and how it functions, I'm not saying its 100% correct, and I bet the majority of you will say its wat to "out there" to even consider. But it is a better explanation then I have seen.

Made your post more readable and moved to Theories. ~Rob
WhitePhoenix
Nullonian

Re: Theory of Time

Postby papernuke » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:49 am

First, welcome to tetraspace.

WhitePhoenix wrote:Im a complete idiot who gets confused in Algebra 2,

Second ,are you in ninth grade? My brother has Algebra 1 and he's in eigth.

Now, about your theory, where did you get it? Did you get it yourself? It has a small chance, a very small chance. I however, disagree with it.

WhitePhoenix wrote: Consider that there is a flowing stream of water coming down from a fousite.[/insertwordican'tspell] ("fousite" being that thing your bathroom that lets out a stream of water.) Anyway, the water stream is flowing down to a board, on the board there is an impact zone of a retardent material, lets just say its metal. This is the buffer zone, or null zone, everything out side that circumfurance is a material that would be stained by the water, but the water will stream right through it and out the opposite end. The water stream that impacts the null zone will splash off of it and onto a spot on the board, lets consider the stained spots the 2nd dimension, or possiblity dimension. (The water stream itself is the 1st dimension) Now will go to quantum phsyics, the act of observing is said to give a unusally outcome based on what happened previously. If any of you know of the double slit experiment, the act of observing will actually give the "expected" outcome. Lets say that the act of observing the 2nd dimension or the possiblities, will reduce what can actually happen, turnning some of the stain areas into unused or null making a new strain of stains, called the Probability Strain, or the 3rd dimension. The act of observing every possiblity turns it into probability and the observor will pick his desired or expected outcome. The 4th dimension, could be explained as the water as it goes through the board and out the other end, or the the water stuck to the null zone, or the water that is streaming out the opposite end of the board. The theory represents time and how it functions, im not saying its 100% correct, and I bet the majority of you will say its wat to "out there" to even consider. But it is a better explanation then I have seen.

We are in the third dimension, and the second dimension is theorized to be a flat "on our paper" world. The first dimension is a straight line, with no width or highth, but with length, which can be as long as it wants. The fourth dimension is is a universe (or couple) that has two more directions than our left, right, foreward, backward, up, and down.

Also, what does this have to do with time?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:14 am

Relative information: Im a complete idiot who gets confused in Algebra 2, so for everyone who is actually a genuis if you feel it necessary just ignore this topic.

If you're interested in this stuff, and you've heard of quantum mechanics then I doubt you're a complete idiot. Your experiment is very clever and pretty well explained. It's just the purpose behind it that is slightly misguided.

Theory: I will explain the theory with an example, because im not clever enough to develop a way to put it into scientific terms.

There's nothing unscientific about using an example.

Anyway, the water stream is flowing down to a board, on the board there is an impact zone of a retardent material, lets just say its metal. This is the buffer zone, or null zone, everything out side that circumfurance is a material that would be stained by the water, but the water will stream right through it and out the opposite end. The water stream that impacts the null zone will splash off of it and onto a spot on the board, lets consider the stained spots the 2nd dimension, or possiblity dimension.

Let me see if I understand this. Tell me if I get anything wrong.
You've got a flat circular board in midair, surrounded by flat plane of material, like paper or cloth. The water falls out of the faucet, straight down onto the centre of the board. Then it either sticks to the board or runs off, through the material, and stains it as it passes through.

Since all the water is moving in the same direction until it hits the board, its motion is one-dimensional in a sense. The board, combined with the material is two-dimensional. So you've got the three spacial dimensions already.

Now will go to quantum phsyics, the act of observing is said to give a unusally outcome based on what happened previously. If any of you know of the double slit experiment, the act of observing will actually give the "expected" outcome.

That's true, but that applies more on very small scales.

Lets say that the act of observing the 2nd dimension or the possiblities, will reduce what can actually happen, turnning some of the stain areas into unused or null making a new strain of stains, called the Probability Strain, or the 3rd dimension.

So you're suggesting that part of the paper might become stained, even if no water falls on it? It would certainly happen to some extent, but it wouldn't be noticable unless you exaggerate quantum effects.

Classically, we expect the stained area to be a perfect circle, larger than the board. There are several effects (like air pressure and brownian motion inside the tap) that will make the circle look rough, and kind of fuzzy. Compared to these, you wouldn't notice the quantum effects.

As for interpreting probability as a dimension, it can be done. Usually though, we see the probability as a function of the usual three dimensions, plus time. In this case, if you want the probability that a point is stained, you call the point (x,y) and then the probability is p(x,y). That's more convenient than having three dimensions and calling each point (x,y,p).

The 4th dimension, could be explained as the water as it goes through the board and out the other end, or the the water stuck to the null zone, or the water that is streaming out the opposite end of the board.

There's a few problems with this bit. Firstly, the 4th dimension doesn't need an explanation. It's explained pretty well on Alkaline's site. Second, what you describe isn't really a dimension in any sense. You can't take some water and call it a dimension. If you mean, "the amount of water that goes through the board is a dimension", then it's possible to interpret it that way, because at least it's a number. It's better to simply call it a variable.

Overall, your ideas are pretty good, and I like the experiment. I suspect you're a bit confused because of the way we sometimes order dimensions. The dimensions shouldn't really be labelled 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, because that gives the impression that they are different. In fact, all dimensions are effectively the same, up to a rotation. The fact that we live in three dimensions just means that we need three numbers to specify any point in space. There are lots of ways to do this, but you can never do it with less than three numbers.
Last edited by PWrong on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby bo198214 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 am

I didnt quite understand the experiment, but it seems to me as if it should explain a certain nature of time.
I would like to fully understand your explanation, so keep going the conversation with PWrong (and dont care whether he means that it doesnt describe a dimension ;) ). But maybe the topic should later on moved into the appropriate subforum.
bo198214
Tetronian

Woof woof

Postby Russ1953 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Yeah, love that posturing. MIT's waitng for Mr. Know it all in theory land!
Russ1953
Dionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?