teseract

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

teseract

Postby papernuke » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:15 am

is the tesseract in the 4th dimension or the 5th? in this book it said it was in the 5th dimension.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:21 am

its in the 5th if you include a dimension of time...

if your only speaking of spacial dimensions, its in the 4th...
too many people have self replicating sigs. Don't copy this.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby houserichichi » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:31 am

You could emmerse a tesseract in the fifth dimension but it's really a four dimensional object...what exactly did the book say?
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:53 am

"the fourth dimension has to do with einstien and time, but the 5th dimension is the tesseract" (they were talking about squares, cubes, etc).
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:58 am

What book is that? I guess i'd have to read the rest of the passage because that makes no sense to me out of context.

**edit**

I suppose if they consider the fourth dimension time then they're talking about a 3+1 dimensional spacetime. If one includes another spatial dimension (so 4+1 dimensional spacetime) then yes, number five would technically be the one that geometers call the fourth...but that's a really stupid way of putting it. I'd still gather the spatial together and say that the tesseract is "the fourth dimension" (which is still worded terribly but I think the logic can be interpreted properly) and that time if the fifth. If you take out time then a tesseract is a four dimensional object. If you include time then it's still a four dimensional object that exists in a five dimensional spacetime.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:29 am

WAIT, i just looked at the book (house asked me what book it was) and it was a sci-fi one. so its probably wrong, and anyways, it was published in 1973.
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Re: teseract

Postby prime » Mon May 19, 2008 4:38 am

We could have an important use of a tesseract in visualising a hypersphere(it is a 4d sphere..and a circle in 2d).
It should be noted that a square can enclose a circle having radius half of its edge length(a/2) touching all its sides symmetrically.Also,a cube of edge length a can symmetrically enclose a sphere of radius a/2.It should similarly follow that a tesseract of edge length a can perfectly enclose a hypersphere of radius a/2 by viewing the 3d projection of a tesseract and visualising the tesseract....we can visualise a hypersphere and its distribution in 4d space...a tesseract can be drawn on paper by making 2 cubes one above the other having a common volume and drawing lines to the adjacent vertices..
prime
Mononian

Return to Where Should I Post This?