Tetraspace...

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Tetraspace...

Postby kuko » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:37 am

Hi all,
I'm new at this.
Does Tetraspace have the same meaning as The 4th dimension?
kuko
Nullonian

Postby PWrong » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:29 am

yep :). Alkaline's main site has more information. If you want more complicated stuff, try the tetraspace wiki.

Welcome to the forum!
PWrong
Pentonian

Re: Tetraspace...

Postby pat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 am

kuko wrote:Does Tetraspace have the same meaning as The 4th dimension?

If, by "The 4th dimension", you mean "a 4th spatial dimension", then yep. Otherwise, you'll find some discussion here, but the main line is about four spatial dimensions.
pat
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:50 am

pat wrote:

"a 4th spatial dimension"

like time
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:12 am

No, time is not a spatial dimension.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:26 am

Icon wrote:
pat wrote:

"a 4th spatial dimension"

like time

Icon, you missed the point entirely. Which made me laugh :lol:
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Not only did you miss the point entirely, but you stated exactly what the post wanted to warn. A 4th spatial dimension, UNLIKE time. THat's soo funny :).
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 pm

**giggles** icon cracks me up.

but it does raise a good point. there is a large confusion as to what a dimension is. do we have a definition?
too many people have self replicating sigs. Don't copy this.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:06 pm

Yes. The number of dimensions a space has is the number of directions possible in that space where they are all perpendicular to each other.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:42 pm

Looks like somebody *cough batmanmg cough* hasn't read the FAQ :roll:
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:08 am

:oops: well we do have a definition but its not a understandable one. i should have worded my question better.

Q: What is a dimension?

A: Mathematically, the dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that vector space. That is, the dimension is the minimum number of vectors {v1, v2, v3 ... vn} such that any vector, v, in the space can be written in the form

v = c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn

where c1 ... cn are scalars

like any newby will understand that. but even if they did. this is only a mathmatical definition of the word dimension and does not really tell me what a dimension is or means. what i meant was a working definition. something that gets to the real nutmeat of what a dimension is and will alow one to determine what qualifies as a dimension.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby houserichichi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:39 am

Q: What is a dimension?

A: Mathematically, the dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that vector space. That is, the dimension is the minimum number of vectors {v1, v2, v3 ... vn} such that any vector, v, in the space can be written in the form

v = c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn

where c1 ... cn are scalars

That definition is regarding the vector space (Hamel) dimension. There are many other kinds of mathematical dimensions.

I suppose in a general conversation I would personally tell someone that a 'dimension' is a degree of freedom. If I live in 3-space then that means that there are 3 distinct directions that are independent of eachother that I am able to travel in. For instance, I can travel forward but not left-right or up-down. Same token I can travel left but not forward-backward, up-down. Finally, I can travel up but not left-right or forward-backward if I so wanted. It turns out that those three pairs of directions (up-down, left-right, and forward-backward) are the only three possible directions that I can go and everything else is a combination of them (this is exactly what that definition quoted above says in words).

So, when I want to write where I am at any particular instant (with respect to some conveniently placed "reference point" which we normally call the origin) I could write my coordinates as (x, y, z) where x is how many units (for instance meters) forward-backward from the origin I am, y is how many units left-right I am from the origin, and z is how many units up-down I am from the origin.

When I know that I'll be moving around and so my coordinates from above will be changing over time I can write where I'll be at time "t" as a four-component coordinate (x, y, z, t) where x, y, and z are all the same as before, except now I added "t" to say that I'm at (x, y, z) at instant "t".

Turns out, however, that (x, y, z) and "t" are more fundamentally linked than this and we have Einstein to thank for that, but for common conversation that seems more than enough to take for granted and is readily acceptable an answer, no?
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:03 am

ty house now all i need is to understand the rest of those 11 dimensions according to string theory, and then I can re-ask this question with even greater confusion... :wink:
batmanmg
Trionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?