universe

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

universe

Postby papernuke » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:32 am

i was in class one day, and i was taking a spelling test. my teacher told us to write "cosmos" and gave a sentence: the cosmos is infinite. cosmos means universe and its not infinite is it? i said his sentence was wrong, but he just asked if i was stephen hawking ( :roll: ) and i said no, so he told me to shut up. was he wrong?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:13 am

The visible universe is not infinite, it's around 14 billion years old. What's beyond that, however, very well could be, but we don't know because it's not visible.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:31 am

when you say visable do you mean physically visable. or that it has objects in it?
too many people have self replicating sigs. Don't copy this.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby houserichichi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:14 pm

Physically visible/observable.

The universe as we know it is 14 billion years old, but that's only the part that we can see. Since cosmology now generally accepts inflation as a subset of the Big Bang, we must necessarily accept that there is light that has not been able to reach us due to the expansion rate of the early universe and, thus, there is more to the universe than just our 28 billion light year diameter field of vision. Now whether what lies beyond our field of vision is finite or infinite is still up for debate.

Also note that since there is no center of the universe, every point in the visible universe will also have its own 28 billion light year diameter field of vision and they will appear to be the center of the universe from their perspective.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:25 pm

so seeable, or has stuff in it? you kniduf answered it saying both as different answers
too many people have self replicating sigs. Don't copy this.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby houserichichi » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Both...it's certainly not seeable because light hasn't had time to reach us yet...as for whether something exists in it I couldn't say, but I promise to look it up and see if I can find something out.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?