quantum penitration

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

quantum penitration

Postby batmanmg » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:07 pm

i've heard that if you put a particle in a box... part of its wave function is outside of the box... esentialy theres a chance that its penitrated the boxes walls and is outside it...

i've also heard that if a particle was to push against and impenitrable wall for infinent time, there is a large chance that it never will get past it... but there is still a chance that it will penitrate through it and end up on the other side...

does this penitration occure through moving through the 4th dimension?

another bit... if i was able to vibrate myself between the 3rd and 4th dimension, would i be able to walk through walls? obviosly the part of my body that would be occupied by an object in 3d would remain paralell to it in 4d while the rest of my body vibrates between the two...
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby jinydu » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:29 am

Regarding your question about the quantum mechanics, I recommend you search for "particle in a box". You will find that if the walls have infinite potential energy, the particle has no chance of escaping. However, the walls have only finite potential energy, the particle does have a finite chance of being observed outside the box, and the probability density of finding the particle decreases exponentially as the distance from the box increases.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:12 am

does this penitration occure through moving through the 4th dimension?

If it did, we would probably notice the extra dimension. So we can conclude that either the extra dimension isn't there, or the barrier between our universe and any other is so strong that the probability is essentially zero.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Where Should I Post This?