walking through walls

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

with me?

yes
59%
no
18%
maybe
6%
huh?
18%

Total votes : 17

walking through walls

Postby papernuke » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:37 am

Walls no matter how hard or thick, has holes. Microscopic holes, but still holes. So my theory is that if someone (or something) could arrange its atoms to fit in the holes, he/she/it could just practically walk through it.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby blazes816 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 am

Of course my horse. Now if you can figure out how to control our molocules, i'd be game for some guinea pigging. 8)
blazes816

Postby papernuke » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:51 am

What do you mean...and whats with the horse and the guinie pig?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby blazes816 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

Sorry. What I said was that it sounds very logical to me, and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work. And if you can figure out how to control our molocules, i'd be glad to be a test subject.
blazes816

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:25 am

blazes816 wrote:Sorry. What I said was that it sounds very logical to me, and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work. And if you can figure out how to control our molocules, i'd be glad to be a test subject.

I think it makes sense also... but I'll let you have the honors of testing it :)
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby Hugh » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:35 am

You'd still have to overcome the large overall repulsive forces of the electrons against each other in the two solid masses as they attempted to pass through one another.
Hugh
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:47 am

Walls no matter how hard or thick, has holes. Microscopic holes, but still holes.

Technically, a wall is nothing but a hole. A subatomic particle has no volume, so the total volume of a wall is technically zero. As Hugh said, the reason you can't walk through a wall is a form of the electric force. The wall simply repels you when you get close enough.

That said, in quantum mechanics there is a nonzero probability that every atom in your body could suddenly decide to disappear and appear on the other side. But the chance of even a single particle moving that far is almost zero. This does happen to electrons in semiconductors and stuff. My electrical engineering friends would know more about that stuff than I do.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby houserichichi » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:11 pm

If you pushed against a wall your entire life the odds are very much in the favour of not making it entirely through the wall by many orders of magnitude. In fact I would imagine that the odds are near similar to those of just standing in a room and magically appearing in another which QM does not explicitly forbid.
houserichichi
Tetronian

lego

Postby Universally_thinking » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:42 pm

lol,Atoms are not lego. cool idea though, maybe if we could freeze the electrons...
Universally_thinking
Dionian

Creating a blink

Postby Russ1953 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Knowing that matter is between you and your preferred location. You could through the spacial of the wall measure the thickness of the wall and density to find the distance to the other side. But, if you isolated by theory a safe clearing that could assume your mass on the otherside of such wall one could surf the 2d highway with that grid of proximity as the focus to appear on the other side by dimensional field adjustment and uncloak at the calculated clearing on the other side. Passing through the wall. There is a distinct signature of mass isotopes that describe exactly where the wall ends and the next space begins. To measure the end of the other side of the wall is density related sensoring and then to approximate the available space to support materialization of the mass to materialize on the other side is stream travel effect. Like throwing a ball through a net by altering its physical characteristics dimensionally cloaking with 2d garment. Hence you could manifest opposite from your original location. Just don't loose your shroud before clearing the wall. A real nasty explosion will occur.
Russ1953
Dionian

Postby papernuke » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:55 am

What do you mean with the explosion? And also, you can't just surf into the second dimension from the third, you would have to squish yourself to an unimaginable flatness just to be able to go, and how to go, no one knows.
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Russ1953 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:08 pm

All things have levels to their spectrum whether it be gases, light or heavy particles. If while cloaked you did not clear the matter depicted and partially uncloaked within a heavier matter there would obviously be an explosion because of displacement. 2 properties cannot occupy the same space at the same time. All matter can be bent or shaped by fields. You are not smothered by the 2d you are merely on the outskirts of a spectrum of the 2d. Hence when you omit minorly the field of the 2d in the direction of travel it is considered surfing. That is because the 2d repels at fast or as faster than light dependent on what level of field spectrum you are utilizing in the 2d. Yes you would get smashed if you did not bend by field around the surface of you vessel. Creating fields involves advanced sensory capabilities which as I showed in the link above is acknowledged by the best of this worlds scientist MIT, NASA, the Europeans and others world-wide. This is the field of study to which breakthrough's will manifest the secrets of Universal Theory. The better the tools, the better the advanced sciences. Quantum Math, to be proven has to have Quantum tools. Thinking about advanced Unification needs advanced tools. That is the future, if it is to be opened. There is no advancement through kinetics or wishful thinking, they are the result of the failure of a species.
Russ1953
Dionian

Postby papernuke » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:49 am

What kind of spectrum do you mean? How would you cloak to get into another objecT? You could only do that in a dimension lower than you. For example, in the second dimension, if you plucked a person out, and put it in another person, the newly made body would expand until it evened out. If you put a big object in a big object, there might be a big explosion, but you cant put an object in another one in your dimension, the third. Also, what do you mean about going being repeled as fast or faster than the speed of light? Also, your link, where is it? Can you show it?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby The_Science_Guy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:21 am

PWrong wrote:
Walls no matter how hard or thick, has holes. Microscopic holes, but still holes.

Technically, a wall is nothing but a hole. A subatomic particle has no volume, so the total volume of a wall is technically zero.

A subatomic particle has zero volume? Where did you get that? All particles have volume, only points are volumeless, sice points are 0 demensional, have no size, and therefore no volume. So, the wall and subatomic particles do have mass.
WARNING: Reading this signature line may cause extreame confusion and laughter. Please consult a comedian before reading

!sdnah ruoy no emit eerf fo tol lufwa na evah tsum uoy ,woW
The_Science_Guy
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:55 am

Yes, subatomic particles have no volume. That's why they're called point particles.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:14 pm

If something has mass it must have volume... otherwise it has infinite density...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby PWrong » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:16 pm

I'll give you that. But it would be better to say that volume and density are defined for regions of space, not small groups of point particles.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby houserichichi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:23 pm

The problem with these arguments is that everyone is thinking in terms of classical physics (aka: common intuition). Quantum mechanics is far from that. In QM we have a discretization whereby a particle's momentum has an uncertainty. Throwing in special relativity we know that a particle's velocity cannot exceed that of light leading to an uncertainty in the mass. Turns out the smallest we can probe is the Planck length so when one says that a particle is a "point" we just mean that it appears a point up to the Planck scale. Since there's a "smallest" scale we must define a highest energy that a particle can have (before it becomes a black hole and all hell breaks loose). That highest energy translates directly into a highest mass via SR again. So for every "point" particle there exists a highest mass before it becomes a black hole.

The joys of QFT.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Re: walking through walls

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:51 am

The key to getting through a wall would be for you and the wall to move really close to the speed of light in opposite directions so that there would not be time for the repulsive forces between your electrons and the walls electrons to stop you. You would have to calculate the speed at, which the repulsive forces between the electrons repel each other. If you and the wall were both moving faster than the repulsive forces of the electrons you would be virtually guaranteed to make it through the wall.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:39 am

While there is very little space occupied by matter, the forces are very large. This is why, for example, we don't collapse into neutronic matter, for example.

Were we to walk through walls in this manner, what prevents us or the wall disappearing into a space of 1e-15 of its original size?
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby A_Square » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Why bother walking through walls? Just hop over them in the next dimension :P
A_Square
Mononian

Return to Where Should I Post This?