Imagining 4D

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Imagining 4D

Postby blazes816 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:53 am

How do we know what 4D objects look like? I mean, I know that it's all therory, but how did the unfolded tesseract come to look like an inverted double cross?
blazes816

Re: Imagining 4D

Postby Hugh » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:41 am

blazes816 wrote:how did the unfolded tesseract come to look like an inverted double cross?

Check out the animations at this site to get a better idea of this: http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/math/4D/folding/welcome.html
Hugh
Tetronian

Postby blazes816 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 am

Okay. I'm starting to understand. Still a bit confused on how to imagin it looking in 4D, but now I at least understand how they got to what it looks like. But here's another qeustion, I havn't seen the 3D projection of a glome, but how would they get to what it looks like? Seeing as if you extend a sphere to the 4D, the same way you extend a circle into 3D, you'd just end up with a sphere....?
blazes816

Postby moonlord » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:33 pm

That's right. Use the word "extend" carefully though, there is another operation defined by "extrusion" that gives, for example, the cylinder from the circle.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:19 pm

Go here, but it only shows it unfolded. http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/forum/vi ... php?t=587&
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?