simple physics destroyed by the speed of light

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

do you think that the speed of light has anything to do with the 4th dimension?

yes
14%
no
14%
thats a stupid quesiton
57%
it turns it into the 3rd dimension right?
14%

Total votes : 7

simple physics destroyed by the speed of light

Postby batmanmg » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 am

ok... so you can't get any object of any mass to go the speed of light... well what about two objects going half the speed of light in opposite directions?

simply asked.. if you fired two magical guns that shoot out their bullets at half the speed of light in opposite directions. relative to eachother... HOW FAST ARE THE BULLETS GOING?

relative to you they are both going 1/2 the speed of light, so how can it be that they are not going to speed of light relative to eachother?
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby moonlord » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 am

In relativistic motion, speeds don't add like in the newtonian (classic) theory. I haven't studied relativity, but I think V = (v1 + v2) / (1 + v1*v2 / c^2), if the two speeds are parallel. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Applying this to your situation, the resulting speed would be 80% * c.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:09 am

wich brings me to my next question... do velocity and the speed of light work the same way in the fourth dimension?
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby moonlord » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Most laws of physics are still valable in a four dimensional space. Notable exceptions are the field forces. Gravity would be G = k m1 m2 / r^3, although k can only be found out by measurement, which is impossible because we're in a 3D space. The electrostatic force would be F = k q1 q2 / r^3 and so on. Maxwell's equations would be different.

The sped of light is 1/sqrt(miu-0 * epsilon-0). I believe these two constants can also be determined only by experiment.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:45 am

batmanmg wrote:wich brings me to my next question... do velocity and the speed of light work the same way in the fourth dimension?

Depends what you mean by "work". Obviously, you can define velocity to be the time derivative of position in any dimension. And you can postulate that the speed of light is the same for all inertial frames of reference in any number of dimensions as well.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am

what i mean is does the complex nature of mass in the 4th dimension make the rules of relativity null? or is another variable simply added to the equation?
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby moonlord » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Why would the mass be complex in 4D?
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:51 am

And by "complex", do you mean "complicated" or "a subset of the set of complex numbers"?
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:15 pm

Since he'd add another variable, I suppose the mass is a complex number (member of C).
moonlord
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?