other sides

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

other sides

Postby papernuke » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:16 am

I read in this book (sphereland) that to 2d beings that the other dimensional sides (left,right) were the invisible sides to them, so paractically they can't see those sides, what if to us the invisible side is behind us, because even if we turned to look at our old "back" we would still have a new "back" that we still can't see.

Thoughts?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:55 pm

that applies to restricted field of vision only. however, if one has wide FOV, and lets say its 2pi wide then there is no direction unseen frome where one is looking from. still one could talk about front/back or/left/right or top/down, only that all are present. but all are seen at once. like in the following images of an interior project for my friend.

or this sketch of my girlfriend's livingroom:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/t ... ngroom.jpg

Edit by Rob: removed enormous image

so the thing of absence of part of visual field is a matter of optical interface of the perceiving agent. if we have eyes facing forward with our skin and head occluding backView, ok. but if the perceiver is a point of consciousness, or a spherical lens, then there is no occluded region in the visual field just different gestalts of the whole field of vision within its margin which is a point.
thigle
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:21 pm

oh damn that sketch is huge. ill reformat it soon, now i got some other stuff to do sorry.
thigle
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:43 pm

YEa that is huge :shock:
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:21 pm

now it ain't no more. thanx rob for fixing that. now here it is and it's 3 instead of one. the second handsketch is from the same point but in different direction (downward).

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/t ... FORwEB.jpg

also the first 2 of computer-rendered ones above, are from the same point in 3space(have same centre of projection) but with different sightVector. the 3rd is also partly offset.

anyway. does it tell you anything about your 'other sides' issue
?
thigle
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?