Two questions...

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Two questions...

Postby Kevin_Ahab » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:25 am

I have a few questions to help me out with understanding this more fully than I do.

1 - What analogy is easier to follow-Alkaline's one he uses, the length, height but not breadth one for the 2D world, or the one used in Flatland, of all geometric shapes, in a world of length and breadth, but not height?

2 - Would the fourth dimension be one like our length/breadth that we can walk on, or like height, "above" us, or something else, or do we not know, or is it irrelevant!

Welcome to the Forums, for me!
A Christmastime joke that is funny year-round:

Q: Why was Jesus not born in France?
A: They could not find three wise men or a virgin!
Kevin_Ahab
Mononian

Re: Two questions...

Postby Keiji » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am

Kevin_Ahab wrote:1 - What analogy is easier to follow-Alkaline's one he uses, the length, height but not breadth one for the 2D world, or the one used in Flatland, of all geometric shapes, in a world of length and breadth, but not height?

Alkaline's is easier to relate to - and if you look at flatland, there is apparantly a "strong attraction to the south" which is practically like gravity.

Kevin_Ahab wrote:2 - Would the fourth dimension be one like our length/breadth that we can walk on, or like height, "above" us, or something else, or do we not know, or is it irrelevant!

4D would be one like length and breadth. Gravity is towards a mass, so in fact, even in 3D we don't have "2 walkable dimensions and 1 gravity dimension", we're just used to it because we haven't gone into space (if anyone on this forum actually has gone into space, they're damn lucky :lol: ). But in space, where there is no gravity, the Y dimension is no different from the X and Z dimensions.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Kevin_Ahab » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks a lot!!!!
A Christmastime joke that is funny year-round:

Q: Why was Jesus not born in France?
A: They could not find three wise men or a virgin!
Kevin_Ahab
Mononian

Return to Where Should I Post This?