Supersymmetry

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Supersymmetry

Postby darthbadass » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 pm

Could someone define it to me in words a string theory n00b can understand?
darthbadass
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:22 am

There are loads of popular science descriptions of it available online; just search for "supersymmetry" on a search engine. You should easily get hundreds or thousands of results.

A warning though: You've never really understood a physics theory until you understand at least its fundamental equations. So equationless descriptions are necessarily extremely watered down explanations.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:49 pm

Just like for every particle there is an antiparticle (that's a kind of symmetry), supersymmetry loosely says that for every boson (particle with integer spin) there is a corresponding fermion (particle with half-integer spin).
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 pm

and bosons and fermions are all the 'stuff' out there at that scale ? are there any other spins ? can there be also spins of irrational value ?

does this string theory supersymetry concept unify all the 4 forces ? how are these particels related to each of the forces, i mean what are all the 'actors' in supersymmetric world ?
thigle
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:26 am

Bosons and fermions are all that is out there...at least in the standard model, anyway. There are all sorts of other theories out there with their own zoo of particles that have yet to be discovered, however. Who knows what else exists.

The only allowed spins in quantum mechanics are of integer or half-integer values.

String theory does not unify the four forces. Superstring theory (string theory with supersymmetry) may, however. It remains to be seen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what are all the 'actors' in the SUSY world." Care to elaborate on the question? Read this paper and just skip over the math to get a rough idea of what you'd be dealing with. Perhaps it will help answer some questions.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:09 pm

thanx :)
thigle
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:24 am

"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?