How hard it is to make a space engline?

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

How hard it is to make a space engline?

Postby Garland » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi!

So my question is pretty basic, but which processes are involved in doing it? I've read an article on bloomberg about new engine (click to read) and taking into consideration that it's not a start-up, but not a huge corporation - how hard it is to build such stuff and what are the requirements fro this? Why we do not have young space start-ups?

Thank you
Garland
Nullonian

Re: How hard it is to make a space engline?

Postby ICN5D » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm

We do have 'young' space startups. It's just outrageously expensive. The materials required, the amount you need (large quantities of tungsten, titanium, beryllium, etc), the insane engineering bottlenecks you have to overcome to control one of the most powerful chemical explosions known, etc. It ain't easy, bruh. Not only do you have to keep the liquid oxygen and hydrogen fuel cold enough, but you have to use it as a coolant at the same time (for the rocket nozzle). You also have to understand how incredibly dangerous liquid oxygen is. It's volatile and unpredictable, and nobody in their right mind wants to transport a container of the stuff for any amount distance.

So, yeah. Plus, you have to pay very expensive people for their years of R&D time, which comes out of pocket with no return on investment for years to come. So, you gotta throw away billions of dollars, basically. Before anything comes to fruition.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Challenger007 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:51 pm

That's for sure. The aerospace sector requires as much investment as possible, but at the same time, the real profit for the company is very controversial. On the same broadcasts of the launch, it is hardly possible to recoup the billions invested in development.
Challenger007
Dionian

Postby cannon_gray » Thu May 13, 2021 5:41 am

Some [url="https://www.skyrora.com/"]space company in the uk[/url] produces engine parts using 3D printing. I don't think it is as much difficult as you think.
cannon_gray
Mononian

Postby filbs111 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm

It's rocket science.
filbs111
Mononian

Return to Where Should I Post This?