The time travel anti-argument applied to higher dimensions.

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

The time travel anti-argument applied to higher dimensions.

Postby Euclid » Mon May 17, 2004 3:20 am

One of the classic arguments against time travel (TT) is the notion that if TT were possible, why haven't we seen any travelers from the future? Science fiction movies always have the time travelers under penalties of law not to reveal that they are TT's and stern warnings about the disaster of either running into a younger self or harming an ancestor.

So, if there are creatures in the other dimensions, why haven't we seen them? ...or should I say, experienced them? Has anyone seen a hypersphere lately?
Euclid
Dionian

Postby elpenmaster » Mon May 17, 2004 4:42 am

perhaps we have

but if you saw a 4-d thing, you would only see a 3-d slice of it

so you wouldnt know that it was 4-d, even if you saw it

perhaps your computer is working a little faster today because a 4-d dude replaced your 3-d computer with a faster 4-d one. but you only see a 3-d slice of your 4-d computer, so you do not know that it is 4-d
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby Geosphere » Mon May 17, 2004 3:54 pm

Maybe they are micro/macroscopic.

OR

When's the last time you saw Pluto? You mean it exists even if I haven't witnessed it? And it existed all those years until someone had the technology to see it?

Wow.

And wait - there are lifeforms living in volcanic fissures in the floor of the ocean? But They never came up to say Hi to us?

Maybe they can't or don't want to make contact.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby Euclid » Mon May 17, 2004 4:09 pm

elpenmaster wrote:perhaps we have

Now that's an interesting comment.

In Flatland, A Square sees a circle, the 2-D embodiment (no pun) of the 3-D sphere. So indeed, under that onus, you could "see" a 4-D thing as it's 3-D slice.
Euclid
Dionian

Postby Euclid » Mon May 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Geosphere wrote:Maybe they are micro/macroscopic.

OR

When's the last time you saw Pluto? You mean it exists even if I haven't witnessed it? And it existed all those years until someone had the technology to see it?

Wow.

And wait - there are lifeforms living in volcanic fissures in the floor of the ocean? But They never came up to say Hi to us?

Maybe they can't or don't want to make contact.

All good and interesting arguments. In fact, each of the above opens new possibilities...

a) Micro/macroscopic --why would this preclude contact? Assuming sentience of course.

b) Pluto --we aren't talking about whether or not a 4th dimension exists or not (at least i wasn't), although I imagine there is still some discussion along those lines.

c) Can't/Won't --ahhh, there's the discussion. I suppose first we need to resolve the existence argument.
Euclid
Dionian

Postby Rybo » Tue May 18, 2004 2:05 am

Euclid wrote:
elpenmaster wrote:perhaps we have

In Flatland, A Square sees a circle, the 2-D embodiment (no pun) of the 3-D sphere. So indeed, under that onus, you could "see" a 4-D thing as it's 3-D slice.

This reminds me of Jacobs Bekenstien holographic black hole article in Scientific American Jan or Feb issue. Jacobs holographic studies leads to the idea that we are 2-D creatures who are having a 3-D illusion. Lee Smolin gives outline of this in his book "3 Roads to Quatum Gravity." Jacob Bekenstein along with S. Hawking discovered "Bekenstiens Law" in the 70's which states that the entropy hidden on the inside of the black hole is equal to the surface area of the event horizon of the that black hole. This equates to me as 4*Pi*R^2 as discoverd by Archimedes regarding spheres and cones but specifically the areas of 4 hexagonal planes of a cubo-octahedron(Vector Equilibrium) being equal to the surface area of the cubo-octahedron being defined. Here is link to my web site containing a brief encounter with this info. Sorry I dont have more on Jacob Bekesntiens Law.

http://home.usit.net/~rybo6/rybo/

Rybo
Icosahedral gravity is the most spherical regular polyhedron ergo it the highest quasi-physical dimensioning(powering) serving as the intermediate buffer-zone between all that is physical all that is metaphysical.
Rybo
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Tue May 18, 2004 4:19 pm

Euclid wrote:b) Pluto --we aren't talking about whether or not a 4th dimension exists or not (at least i wasn't), although I imagine there is still some discussion along those lines.

Pluto is a planet in our own dimension...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Euclid » Tue May 18, 2004 5:21 pm

bobxp wrote:
Euclid wrote:b) Pluto --we aren't talking about whether or not a 4th dimension exists or not (at least i wasn't), although I imagine there is still some discussion along those lines.

Pluto is a planet in our own dimension...

Thank you.
Euclid
Dionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?