Portal to real 4D experience?

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Portal to real 4D experience?

Postby Secret » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141250.htm

From this article, certain sequence of sound frequencies can allow our brain to determine a shape
Maybe we can work out the sequence for all 4D shapes and listen to the sequence
Then maybe we'll know what 4D truely look like
???
Secret
Trionian

Re: Portal to real 4D experience?

Postby PWrong » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:28 am

That's pretty cool. I saw a study years ago where they used wires attached to the tongue to allow a blind person to "see". It seems that the brain can understand any kind of input that can be translated into a 3D image, given enough training. The question is what happens if the input can only be translated into 4D. My guess is it could be done, but you'd have to train for years in a virtual 4D environment.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Secret » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141527.htm

Tumbling tesseract projections anyone?
Secret
Trionian

Postby quickfur » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Oooh! The first true 3D display! Now we're so much closer to visualizing the retina of a 4D being's eye. With enough training using this display, we should be able to perceive 4D with ease... or so goes the theory. :-)

(In practice, though, you still have the problem of mutually-obscuring objects... so you'd still only be able to see ridges, not actual volumes. Which means things like textured 4D surfaces, like brick patterns on a tesseract, are still a ways off.)
quickfur
Pentonian

Return to Where Should I Post This?