Our universe is a concrete pillar.

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Our universe is a concrete pillar.

Postby holomanga » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm

The fourth dimension is time. And our universe is getting longer in time (and so getting older). An explanation for this could be that a tetronian is adding time to it, making it longer. Like a trionian making a pillar longer.

The universe is also getting bigger (wider). The tetronian could be adding material to it, like making a concrete pillar stronger.

This would be interesting. Tetronians building houses out of universes? Why not.
holomanga
Dionian

Re: Our universe is a concrete pillar.

Postby PWrong » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:55 am

Imagine a sheet of paper the size of the solar system. Could you easily draw something in one corner and in the other corner at the same time? Being higher dimensional doesn't necessarily make you all-powerful.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby holomanga » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:58 am

No, it wouldn't make you all powerful, just our four dimensional spacetime would be everyday life to tetronians. And we have no idea about the size of the tetronians. It would be easy to dwar sometthing on the solar sytem sized shet. If you were as big as the solar system.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:18 am

Please don't mix up spacetime with higher spatial dimensions.

You may regard time as a dimension, but it is not a spatial dimension. Tetronians do not live "outside" 3+1 spacetime, they live "inside" 4+1 spacetime.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Time is a spacial dimension. Why do people find it so hard to believe in a spatial and temporal dimension?

Yes, the do live outside our 3-space, in the +1 bit, with their own +1 (hence 4+1). So they could protrude something through four spacial dimensions (one of which is time), and 4=3+1
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 pm

holomanga wrote:Time is a spacial dimension.

That's like saying cats are dogs.

You can say time and space are dimensions (which would be like saying cats and dogs are animals), but you certainly can't say time is space.

Tetronians certainly live in 4+1, which I already said in my last post. However, the +1 of 3+1 does not form part of the 4 of the 4+1, the +1 is retained as the +1 and a new spatial dimension is added.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 am

To describe my argument, first I need to understand what you define as a spacial dimension.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

The i'th dimension is "spatial" if the i'th position of the Minkowski tensor is positive, and "temporal" if it's negative.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby holomanga » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Whats the Minowski Tensor? I don't get matrices.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 am

You know Pythagoras' theorem? There's a similar theorem that works in Minkowski space (relativistic spacetime). The "spacetime-distance" between two events is given by
s^2 = (x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2 - c^2 (t1 - t2)^2

This s^2 is invariant under any change of reference frame. So I could be travelling at half light speed with respect to you, and we'd still measure the same s^2 for any two events. This isn't true for the regular distance between them or the time between them.

Anyway time is special because it has a minus sign instead of a plus. This makes a huge difference to the space. The Minkowski tensor is a diagonal matrix where the diagonal is (1,1,1,-1), all the other entries are zero. You can derive the s^2 equation from the tensor.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Where Should I Post This?