Dimensions

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Dimensions

Postby Russeldog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:49 pm

There are no sources.
The definition is my own which is what caused me to write this to start with,
I couldn't find a satisfying definition of a dimension (probably could've tried harder) so decided to try and define it myself to get a better grasp.
If you find my definition to be wildly inaccurate I'd appreciate it if you point it out.

Dimension definition:

1. One can move along any dimension without moving in any of the other dimensions.
The dimensions are all unrelated, movement in one has no effect on the other.
2. all dimensions are straight, increasing in one direction and decreasing in the other.
(the same step along the X axis would always move you 1 point/meter along that axis)
3. One cannot get from point A to C in a dimension without passing B.
(moving through other dimensions you would still have to take that step towards C eventually, which would put you at B).

Could a device in new york interact directly with a device at a mountain top in Nepal, assuming they communicated through
another dimension called the Odd_dimension in this case?

device in new york:
X:100
Y:100
Z:100
Time:100
Odd_dimension:5000

device at mountain top in Nepal:
X:500
Y:500
Z:500
Time:100
Odd_dimension:5000

While the two devices are obviously very far from eachother in the X, Y and Z dimensions, could they
still interact with eachother through the Odd_dimension in which they are extremely close?
Assuming that they send data, radiate energy or whatever that moves in the Odd_dimension and not X, Y, Z or Time.

The answer would be no, the Odd_dimension:5000 with the differences in the X, Y, Z and Time dimensions are as far
apart as one would be from a person 10,000 miles to the east even if the other coordinates matched perfectly.
//Lets ignore the possibility that movement in that dimension could be faster and that the data can reach that far

Does this mean however that in the X, Y and Z world that we can percieve there could potentially be two things at the exact same
coordinates, though with different locations along the Odd_dimension?
Would we percieve them as one or do we in fact percieve the Other_dimension, though only at a specific value?
Example: Could it be that we percieve the Other_dimension but only at a specific position along it's axis? Say Other_dimension:50000
Just like we can only percieve one value in the Time axis at any given time (now).

is it possible that two units with the same X, Y, Z, Time locations but a different Odd_dimension locations
could interact with eachother while we would be unable to percieve it? Would it matter?
It would matter since in the world that we can percieve two devices could appear exactly the same but behave
differently based on their interaction along the Odd_dimension.
Russeldog
Nullonian

Re: Dimensions

Postby PWrong » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:02 am

It's the number of vectors in the basis of a vector space.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Where Should I Post This?