list? homepage?

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

list? homepage?

Postby FK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:43 pm

... if ben browsing through this homepage, and have often found comments like "whe have to put this or that in the glossery" or "that term is not in the glossery"

which glossery?

where can i find it?
FK
Mononian

Postby pat » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:41 am

The glossary is here: http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/glossary.htm

Lots of useful introductory material is here: http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/
pat
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:07 am

Speaking of the glossary, shouldn't there be a 4D analog of row, column and pillar?

And what about analogs of vertical and horizontal? I'm surprised there isn't a 3D analog of these already. I've seen posts that mention a "depthwise" line, but this doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone suggest two new words for these?
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:53 am

PWrong wrote:Speaking of the glossary, shouldn't there be a 4D analog of row, column and pillar?

And what about analogs of vertical and horizontal? I'm surprised there isn't a 3D analog of these already. I've seen posts that mention a "depthwise" line, but this doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone suggest two new words for these?

curious indeed, I do think the 3d analogon of vertical and horizontal is simply depth.
for the tetra direction, how about deriving it from the directional term kata, the 'al' of horizontal and vertical suggest their analogon to be 'katal', be the 4th monagonal perhaps the 'katar', eding suggested by pilar.

alkaline, you are the best person to get this straight :lol: , you once mentioned to come up with a consistent system of something (I haven't a recollection of what exactly, but it had something to do with this :idea: )

Personally, in the realm of the magic hypercube I've done away with the tems row column and pillar, since in that context they are far too confusing. The term 'monagonal' is consistent with the futher used terminology like 'diagonal', 'triagonal', 'quadragonal' etc.
But for the more literary inclined, the 4d-terms like 'katar' and 'katal' (if so decided) might be of use. :lol:
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:09 pm

I did some resarch, and pillar appears to be a real mathematical term, but it doesn't seem to be used often. Rows and columns are mostly used in grids and matrices, and a 3D matrix would be difficult to view and probably not very useful. Tetronians could draw 3D matrices on a swock and would use pillars all the time, but they would rarely need a 4D matrix, so maybe a 4D analogue isn't really neccessary to us. I did manage to find the Greek word for pillar though, Stylos.

Aale de Winkel wrote:curious indeed, I do think the 3d analogon of vertical and horizontal is simply depth.

Depth isn't an adjective. The problem with using "depthwise" is that while we can say horizontally, we can't really say "depthwisely".

While trying to find an analogue for horizon, I thought of a question. Early humans believed the Earth was a flat disk. Assuming the tetronians live on a glome-shaped planet orbiting a glome-shaped sun, what shape would early tetronians believe their planet was?

Our horizon is a line running in a circle around us. A 4D horizon would look like the planar inside of a sphere. I'm guessing it's a spherinder, but I'm not sure.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby elpenmaster » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:44 am

the analog of horizon is just whatever the last thing you can see is. a horizon is a 2-d vision of the last that you can see. so if a choron is gradually bending into the fourth dimension, and you are looking at it, the the last 2-d vision that you have of the choron is the analog of horizon
i dont know what it would be called
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby elpenmaster » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:53 am

i think that the 3-d analog of horizontal and vertical would be recedingous

the tetronians would have thought that their planet was a realm. they would have stood on the 3 dimensional surface of the realm, and thought that it was flat, but the realm rally curved into the fourth dimension, making it a glome
elpenmaster
Trionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?