Odd question

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Odd question

Postby blitzen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:47 am

First off, after some story idea discusions for movies and such my friend and I stumbled on this site and found it very interesting. This is sort of on and off topic, but here we go.

We've had this idea about building a room that would be sphereical, ideally you'd build it in space to make it as perfect as humanly possible and for weightlessness to get in the middle of it.

So you have a sphereical room only it's a giant sphereical mirror that your in the middle of now what on earth would that look like? Put questionable physics aside on how to get in the middle and much less on how to light the thing and please give me your thoughts on what it would look like, I kinda see it a s glimpse of what a 4d (if they existed) creature would see of themself.
blitzen
Nullonian

Postby PWrong » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:01 am

If I remember my year 11 physics from last year, (which I don't very well), the focus point is at the centre. So all the light will eventually pass the exact centre, hit the other side, and come back to the centre again. If you stood in the exact centre, the light would probably blind you. I have no idea what you would see if you weren't in the centre, but I assume the light would behave chaotically and unpredictably. I doubt the vision would have much in common with the 4th dimension, apart from being really wierd.

I once read something about a circular pool table; I can't remember much about it but the balls follow the same chaotic pattern as the light in your sphere would.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby pat » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:24 pm

PWrong wrote:If I remember my year 11 physics from last year, (which I don't very well), the focus point is at the centre.

Actually, any light emitted from the centre of the sphere would be bounced directly back to it (provided the sphere is a perfect mirror). But, if the light originates anywhere else, only the photons following a radius will ever hit the centre.
pat
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:22 am

you couldnt possibly see what tetronians see because tetronians could see inside of you, and you cant see inside of yourself with the mirror thing
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:54 am

They mean vision from all angles, e.g. like a 3D visualisation just like tetronians see 3D. Then again they would have to look at the mirror at once, which kills the whole idea.
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?