Applying 4-dimensions to our 3d Realm: Light as a particle-

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Applying 4-dimensions to our 3d Realm: Light as a particle-

Postby mrbuttchee » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:43 am

I was just toying with this idea as it fits very well in with the idea of 4-dimensions and Einstein's relativity.
Light has properties of waves and particles and is said to be a "wavicle". Could this be because it IS a particle but not in the 3rd dimension? Maybe this light is a particle in time's dimension - the 4th dimension - that travels in and out of the 4th dimension in an oscillating fashion going in 3d space for half of the period and out of 3D space for the other half of the wave period? Such that this
light, traveling in the 4th dimension (the time dimension), makes stops in our 3rd dimension, and appears as a
constant beam in the direction it's traveling in the 4th dimension (3.00 x 10^8m/s?)
(bouncing through) perpindicularly to the 3rd dimension? Is that, also why it appears to behave as a wave and a particle? "Standing waves" so to speak? Each "wave period" of light is due to the relative frequency (number of periods per unit time) of this
wave "particle" traveling in and out of the realm of the 3D world. What I mean by this is if you attached an infinitely long tail of tissue paper to a bouncing ball. This ball would be traveling in an arc'd path for each time it bounces off the ground and the tail would demonstrate "humps" (half of the wave period). Something like that... Anyway, supposedly if you can reach the speed of light then time stands still in our dimension. Well could that perhaps be because you are in synchronization with the 4th dimension? Now that you are moving only relative the 1-3rd dimensions, they appear to be flying through time as you stand still in it. Maybe that speed exceeds our "quanta" of energy allowable and forces you out of the 3rd dimension, ejecting you like an electron is ejected from metal in the photoelectric effect. Hmm, sounds interesting. Time travel by getting to the 4th dimension, choosing where you would go in the 3rd, then getting back to the 3rd?
Now I'm just rambling... but please give me feedback! I want to hear what someone has to think about this. Thanks
mrbuttchee
Nullonian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:42 am

As far as I know a photon is a trionian (3d) particle traveling at the speed of light (c).
The wave-particle dualism if I remember my quantum mechanics correctly is due to many a photon bombarding some slithed wall combinning behind that wall into an interference pattern. Simular the movement through prisms, slows down the photons according to prism-properties, which makes the photons give the color spectrum (not c is the speed of light in vacuüm) The interaction of many a photon gives us the wavelike properties, a single photon wouldn't display this but merely change its energy into some oter particle according to Einsteins E = mc[sup]2[/sup].
The wave so is due to great many a photon interacting with each other, as all things in quantum mechanics, it is all a matter of probability.

If I remember my special relativity, we would travel back in time if we would travel faster then the speed of light (particles called "tachyons" do so) probably time will stand still when we travel at the speed of light :lol: :lol: (the photons rest frame)

I hope these remblings is of some use to you, note I studied these thing over 20 years back.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby RQ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:40 am

Yes, but of course the tachyons have no mass and aren't traveling back in time. Just as light accelerated by gravity would travel faster than c.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby mrbuttchee » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:49 pm

What exactly are tachyons? I am slightly familiar with what fermions and bosons and the like are... but what is a tachyon? Also, do you mean to say they DO travel back in time? Also, if the wave-like properties of a photon are due to the interaction of many photons, what is a single photon? What exactly is it?
Also, it sounds like you may have a couple other answers for me...
What exactly is an electron? I have heard them described as wave functions but I really don't understand what that means... are these standing waves as well? Hmm.. I'll have to brush up on the info that sparked my questions as it has escaped me momentarily...
What exactly is thermal energy? I read something about temperature but I don't quite understand it. Temperature vs tempermant?
How do electric stoves work? They take electricity and turn it into thermal energy: how?
So many questions! ahh il'll stop...
mrbuttchee
Nullonian

Postby mrbuttchee » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Where does E=mc^2 come from? I understand it's Einstein's... but I don't see how one could realize a relationship of energy being equal to mass x the speed of light^2...
Why does relativistic mass increase so much as the speed of the object increases? What exactly is heat/thermal energy? How is this different from radiant energy? I know that thermal has something to do with increased collisions of molecules... but what causes the increase of collisions? Is an electric stove that gets red, just concentrated red radiant energy?
Too many questions! They're getting mixed up in my head
mrbuttchee
Nullonian

Postby FK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:38 pm

RQ

light cannot be accelerated... thats what i am trying to explain in the other thread ...

mrbuttchee

my physics is limited to describing what happens ... i wish i could understand the why

but i guess that that allways is a philosophical question, that we wont be able to answer...
FK
Mononian

Postby RQ » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:22 am

yes it does. Light is only constant in a vacuum.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:35 am

what if you somehow increased the density everywhere in the universe. then light would travel slower than its potential everywhere. if you could somehow keep it this way, except for a tunnel for you to go through, then everybody else would think you were going faster than light, if they didnt kow that such thing as a vacuum existed
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:19 am

No, even though light wouldn't have a vacuum to travel in (as you suggested), it would still have its constant, since if there were a vacuum, that would be its speed. Just because there isn't one, doesn't mean that light wouldn't travel at the speed of c in it.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:47 am

i thought that light travelled slower in water and other substances than in a vacuum
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:36 am

Light doesn't actually slow down in a substance, it only seems that way because of refraction.

For instance, if you shine a light onto a piece of glass, a photon will bounce on the side of one particle and turn left slightly, then bounce on the side of a different particle and turn right. The result is a zigzag pattern, so it takes longer to get to the edge of the glass. The average speed of the light is lower, but its velocity stays constant.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Watters » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:35 pm

Just as light accelerated by gravity would travel faster than c.

light doesn't accelerate in gravity....it is constant.

What exactly are tachyons? I am slightly familiar with what fermions and bosons and the like are... but what is a tachyon?

Einstein's didn't say that nothing could travel faster tehnt eh speed of light he said that if they traveld at teh speed of light then the mass would become infinate. So a tachyon is a theroetical partical that hs no mass, and there for can travel faster then the speed of light. That is as indepth as i know in explaining. I also know that they can't travel slower then the speed of light, and we haev no evidence of them. but id on't know why it can't travel slower.
Watters
Dionian

Postby elpenmaster » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:56 am

i think that tachycons go faster than the speed of light and thus go backward in time. they are supposedly the answer to some paradox, i think that it is called the EPR paradox. it is based on quantum mechanics, which says that until observed, a particle is not in any definite place. so if two particles bump into each other and go in opposite directions, their locations are related. even if they are light years apart, if you observe one particle, then you should know where the other one is. but this makes a paradox, because if you know where the other one is it becomes real instantly, even though it is light-years away. so they invented tachycons, which go faster than c and thus backward in time. they can go and tell the other particle to become real instantly, because they can travel to anywhere instantly.
I think
:)
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:56 pm

Tachyons don't have mass just like photons.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Watters » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:50 pm

Echo.....lol
So a tachyon is a theroetical partical that hs no mass
Watters
Dionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?