Misunderstandings pertaining to M theory

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Misunderstandings pertaining to M theory

Postby chemmagiciancalcstudent » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:55 am

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, and I've been working on a project which I wanted to get some help with from someone who actually understands M theory, string theory, or any of these higher order dimensional models.

Now, there are a couple of bits I get:

1. According to M theory there are approximately 11 dimensions and parallel universes known as branes.

2. Gravity is supposedly the one force which can pass between higher and lower order dimensions.

Now, my questions are as follows:

Assuming we work from the flatland analogy, if you were on a two dimensional surface, there is presumably a way you could increase your travel speed and cut your travel time. The first way is that you could attempt to bend the space around you until you are directly next to the place you want to go, punch a hole through, and then end up where you want to be, effectively a wormhole. The second possibility is that you could take the person out of flatland, move them through the third dimension, and place them back down at point B. Either one of these could cut travel time considerably.

1. Is it possible, that by accessing a higher order dimension, a field, namely a gravitational field, maintain its distance over longer distances in three dimensional space, if it was projected into one of these higher order dimensions and then after it conducted an arc through a higher order dimension returned at a given point in three dimensional space in less time?

2. How is time itself described in M theory? Is it a lower or a higher order dimension? In the flatland analogy, if we stretched it to 4 dimensions, is time one of those dimensions which could be treated as lower order, and could it be circumvented if a gravitational field entered a higher order dimension? Could it be treated like the three spatial dimensions we take for granted in this analogy? Namely, is it possible that a gravitational field could be emitted or manipulated backwards through time?

I'm trying to understand what M theory actually allows for. The reason for this is, controversial and possibly pseudo-scientific as this may be, if gravity was in fact able to do this according to the predictions/equations of M theory, then it could provide a basis for psychic abilities (i.e. that somehow humans evolved a capability to manipulate gravitational fields emitted by their body and to a certain extent could focus where they went.) The best thing about this theory, unlike other theories for psychic phenomena, is that it could actually be tested. If gravitational waves were being emitted/received by the human body as the basis for ESP and psychokinesis, then presumably an experiment could be conducted near one of the gravitational wave detectors that have already been set up (LIGO or VIRGO) and if such a carrier wave existed, it presumably would be detected.

Alternatively, a much simpler test of this hypothesis would be to simply weigh anyone who was acting as a sender in a telepathy experiment or an agent in a psychokinesis experiment while conducting said experiment. If the sender lost mass, that would be an indicator that their gravitational field, or at least part of it, was focussed somewhere other than the earth beneath them. By the same token, a receiver in a telepathy experiment, or a clairvoyant should gain mass from receiving gravitational signals.

Anyway, before running off to get the most sensitive scales I can find to test this hypothesis, I wanted to run it by someone who actually understood what was being said in relation to these higher order dimensions, so I can know if I'm barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and replying.
chemmagiciancalcstudent
Nullonian

Return to Where Should I Post This?