time

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

time

Postby jordan » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:33 am

in lower dimensions there is time. right. well say if in a 2d world theres time, and so on in the first and third dimesions, obviously time isnt the fourth dimension, right. it has to be a direction in some sense.
jordan
Mononian

Postby Geosphere » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:06 pm

Time is not a dimension. Please read more posts.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:36 am

I thought time was the 4th dimension in Einstein's equations for relativity. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if time was nothing, then there wouldn't be any spacetime.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Geosphere » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:36 pm

No. Time is an additional factor to the equation, not a dimension. He clarifies this in later papers.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:38 am

I don't think there is much difference.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Geosphere » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:50 am

Heat is a factor not a dimension.

See the difference?
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:28 am

but the speed of light squared isn't heat.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Geosphere » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:54 pm

... never mind ...

I will not be able to describe the proper theory of relativity on a bbs in a way for you to understand. You have to research it.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:40 pm

time is not a length, but it has the directions past / future. To make time a length it is multiplied by the speed of light (c) such that ct is a length. I a 4-vector ict (i = root(-1)) is then used as the zeroth component. Whether or not one may see this as a dimension is a phylosophical academic question I don't see purpose in deciding it here, it is to me a mere matter of opinion. Mathematically the 0-th component of the 4-vector is quite handy (see the relativity thread).

With 0'th component as a dimension, it becomes certainly possible to move back and forth in time. Einstein might object to that idea but despite his contributions to quantum mechanics he maintained "Gott würfelt nicht" (the lord doesn't play with dice). What happens will be seen when someone travels beyond the speed of light, if he travels to the past then I must say time is a dimension, as of yet time is what I might call a "unidirectional dimension" (ie only travel to the future is possible, as we all do). Currently we are only stuck onto a single forward moving point called "the present".

As said whether or not time is a dimension is a mater of opinion, movement along that dimension is merely restricted to the laws described by Einstein.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby RQ » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:20 am

But we move forward along it as often as every second ticks away.
Yes, Geosphere, I do know overall what relativity is about by the way.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:26 am

maybe the dimension of time is like a black hole, in which you can only travel in one dimension. similarly we can only travel one direction in time, and, like an object in a black hole, we have no control over our movement in it
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby Geosphere » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:34 pm

We do not actually 'move' through time. That is a common phrase. Time only 'passes' because it is too difficult to conceive of otherwise. Don't fall into the trap of colloquialisms.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby FK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:05 pm

this is just my personal theory on time, i have got no sciantiffic reason to believe in it, but i like the idea...

i made up this theory becouse i found out about the "hypercubus" and had heard, that time is the fourth dimension.

- we live in 3d, time is in 4d
- if we would live in 2d time would be in 3d
- i imagine 2d time, something like 3d gravety

i imagine time passing in 2d, like a piece of paper "falling" in 3d.

- the further the paper(2d world) "falls" the farther it is in the future
- the faster it falls, the faster time passes...

apply this to our dimension, and youve got what i mean...

i know this theory is foulty, becouse it sort of inclines a universal time...
(but then ... deep down in side i find it hard not to believe in universal time)

(obveusly i havent got to many people to talk about stuff like this outside of the net)

cheers

FK
FK
Mononian

Postby RQ » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:30 am

I suppose time can be described as a higher dimension. Imagine the flatland people. A movement of them is like a 3D object passing through the plane.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:06 am

would sideways movement in time be like going through different parrallel universes? if you went back in time and changed things, then when you travelled forward in time again would you be sideways in time from what originally happened?
:wink:
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:18 am

Hawkings presents several possibilities for time travel (backwards).
First there is the one with no free will, where your actions are determined in order that everything turns out the way it did when you time traveled back. There is also that you do have free will, but that would only bring on the grandfather paradox. I suppose, since a different time=a different space, it has to be the third, or alternate histories, where you would have to go to a parallel dimension (in my opinion impossible with any technology) and go to a place identical to our universe at the time that you wanted back in time. This would of course require you to move in the 4th dimension to reach an alternate universe (maybe). But it would not be possible to reverse the universe into what it once was (for example put the pieces into a jigsaw puzzle, and shuffle them again and say it was in the past), since there would be more entropy as said by the second law of thermodynamics.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:50 am

if you could travel "sideways' through time, then you could move from one reality to another without moving physically
:roll:
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:00 am

Sideways? Confusing time with space. I was just trying to say how time can be referred to as the fourth physical extended dimension, traveling side ways, or perpendicular to it is just going again into the 4th dimension with perspective to the 3D world, since there is nothing higher.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:21 am

quantum physics says that until observed, a particle is in all possible states at once. maybe these states are sideways in time from each other. when you observe the particle only the particle in your time is real
:? 8)
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:14 am

again, sideways would be irrelevant to this universe since there would have to be a 5th spatial dimension for it to be side ways in comparison with. That is the definition of a physical 4th spatial extended dimension, though ur right.
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?