If there is a fourth dimensionthen what if... :idea:

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

If there is a fourth dimensionthen what if... :idea:

Postby meanstotheend » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject of the 4th dimension, I merely skimed through the introduction and am pretty confident I got the jist of it. I'm 17 and am in high school, and was wondering....if there is indeed a 4th dimension (a very abstract and theoretical concept to say the least), then wouldnt that almost inherently mean that there is a 5th, 6th, 7th, and so on into infinity?
meanstotheend
Mononian

Postby RQ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:45 am

There could be a 4th physical dimension, just not in this universe. In math, of course there are calculations, but there might as well be or not higher than 3 dimensional universes. I guess that leads up to whether u believe in God or not.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby meanstotheend » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:58 am

lol, This reminds me of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer travels into the third dimension...lol...
meanstotheend
Mononian

Postby elpenmaster » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:30 am

there is of course the fourth dimension, that is how gravity works, by bending the fourth dimension. unless it was bending the 5th, 6th, or 7th, etc. but since light curves around large masses, gravity bends the first 3 dimensions too. and the fact that we have weight means that it also bends higher dimensions. . .
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:31 am

You are referring to time now.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Geosphere » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:56 pm

elpenmaster wrote:that is how gravity works, by bending the fourth dimension.

OK - THIS I gotta hear. WHAT are you talkin about and how do you back it up with viable research?
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:22 am

Actually gravity just bends spacetime.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:16 am

imagine a plane. the people living in that plane would have gravity, but the gravity would be the 3d curvature of the plane toward a 3d gravity source. so objects in 3d bend all of the dimensions, including the 4th one. gravity is merely the bending of the 3d universe, which is like the surcell of a glome, into the inside of the glome. so the center of the earth, say, is "lower" in tetraspace than we are, and by the curvature of tetraspace we are attracted to the lower spot, hence gravity.
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby Geosphere » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:30 pm

elpenmaster wrote:which is like the surcell of a glome

While interesting, you have to back that up.

Otherwise, you might as well be talking about gravity fairies that are attached to each object and pull things to the largest object.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:58 pm

Gravity is just gravitons between matter.
The dimensions don't bend each other because they might not affect each other. Also, for gravity in 2D to bend itself, you are saying that the gravity in that 2D universe is pulling towards the 3rd dimension, which defies the statement that it was the 2nd dimension in the first place.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby chitspa » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:42 pm

Try relating magnets to gravity. If you put magnetic filament on a pieces of paper (try to imagine the paper as our 3D world), then you set the magnet down (assuming we are giving gravity to that 3D world), the particles with mass will be attracted to the closest point on the magnet. You will notice that the particles won't come out of the 3D world, but the magnet (gravity) will. Hence, gravity exists in the fourth dimension.
chitspa
Mononian

Postby meanstotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:52 am

another point that is used to prove the 4th dimension is the fact that gravity is really weak...
meanstotheend
Mononian

Postby Watters » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:41 am

so the center of the earth, say, is "lower" in tetraspace than we are, and by the curvature of tetraspace we are attracted to the lower spot, hence gravity.

Interested in this coment....Gravity formula is f=G(m1*m2/r^2) G being the gravitational constant.....so if it is the tetraspace beding that causes gravity, and gravity is (to a degree) discribed by the gravitation constant, tehn why don't you see it in more 4d formuals.

also to pick on this comment
you are saying that the gravity in that 2D universe is pulling towards the 3rd dimension, which defies the statement that it was the 2nd dimension in the first place.

if you read the book flatland then you would know that 3d objects intersecting in 2d space, (a sphear would be a circal) casues gravitational pull in the 2d world.
Watters
Dionian

Postby pat » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:07 am

Wheee... I think everyone in this thread has to take a step back (or kata) and read the works of George F. Gillette for a whole new take on gravity. :twisted:

From Gillette's work:
[Gravitation] is the kicked back nut of the screwing bolt of radiation.... Gravitation and backscrewing are synonymous. All mass units are solar systems... of interscrewed subunits.

:)
pat
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:04 am

First of all, if gravity is an extra dimension, it is very different from the other dimensions, and certainly shouldn't be called the fourth dimension, or the fifth or anything that confuses it with the 3 we already have.

The three dimensions in our universe are clearly visible, completely interchangeable, do not neccessarily have to be perpendicular, and can be bent any way we see fit. For instance we can use latitude, longitude and altitude to specify any point in the universe. Length and width are essentially the same thing.

In tetraspace, there are four dimensions, which are also interchangeable and visible to Tetronians.

Gravity is nothing like the normal dimensions. We can't see it, and we're still all restricted to three dimensions anyway. If it is a dimension, it's completely separate, and it's definitely not the fourth dimension. And this all goes for time as well.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Watters » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:40 pm

latitude, longitude and altitude to specify any point in the universe

no you can't....Quantum mechanics say that you can' never simultaniously know the point at which a partical is and it's impulse at teh same time. So if you know it's impulse then it is impossible to define it's position. Now i guess that proble is more an error in calculation then the actual partical beign there so you could be right. But at the moment the quantum mechanics is all we got.
Watters
Dionian

Postby RQ » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:57 am

I don't really think that anyone in science says gravity is a dimension. I mean if you think that creating virtual particles is another dimension then maybe, but I mean come on, it's just bending space into non Euclidean space.
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?