4-D in college?

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

4-D in college?

Postby LOAP » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:11 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

I'm 17 and am thinking about college and I know I want to study higher dimensions and wormholes, time-travel (etc.) and I want to know what classes would be best for me to take, or if there is a specific class that deals with these sort of things then that would be great too. Well thank you very much for reading and I hope you guys can help.
LOAP
Nullonian

Postby houserichichi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:46 am

Relativity will touch on time (along with introductory physics) and mathematical versions of higher dimensions will be talked about in geometry courses (perhaps) and necessarily topology as you go further on. The fourth dimension, per se, is a rather esoteric subject to cover in its own right through my own experience. You might get wormholes and the sort in introductory astronomy courses but won't cover any proper meat until around general relativity if at all. A great book to start (but probably not at 17) would be Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler.

If you want time travel and wormholes then take the physics route. If you want higher dimensional geometry then take the math route.

That's my advice.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:16 am

good books to read if you want to go that way (no i dont know CRAP about what classes to take .. im in seventh grade :roll: )

Elegant universe by Brian Greene

The Poincare Conjecture by Donal O'Shea (although it talks about the shape of the universe and geometry)

The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian greene
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?