surviving a black hole?

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

surviving a black hole?

Postby medlakeguy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:36 pm

I was thinking that it might be possible to survive a black hole if you went into it going very close to the speed of light, or at least close enough that however much it could accelerate you wouldn't be enough to tear you apart.
Ideas?
medlakeguy
Mononian

Postby moonlord » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:27 pm

You'd survive it until you get close enough to the singularity or whatever there is in your black hole. Most probably at a certain point you'll die.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:56 pm

Yeah, you'd at one point get close enough that the gravity would either tear you apart or squash you.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:00 pm

Black Holes can trap light.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Black holes suck
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:40 pm

houserichichi wrote:Black holes suck

Do you mean they suck, as in you hate them, or suck as in a vacuum cleaner? If the second, I would like to point out that nothing sucks, only pushes in the opposite direction :) .
postcount++;

Nick
Tetronian

Re: surviving a black hole?

Postby malkuth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 am

If I am not mistaking, Stephen Hawking said that a person cought in a black hole would not even notice that something is wrong with him, because, in the moment of anhiliation, he would rematerialize in one of the parallel universes in which black holes don't exist.
I believe it goes something like that.

Therefore, it is quite possible to survive being cought in a black hole.
Other planes lie beyond the reach of normal sense and common roads

But they are no less real than what we see or touch or feel

-- Kristian Vikernes
malkuth
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:30 am

Perhaps, but it wouldn't appear that way to outside observers, would it?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby malkuth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Well, to the outside observer it would seem as though the person cough in a black hole is being swirled and stretched into a homogeneous mass across the surface of the black hole.
But the point is he would be alive.
Thus the common misconception that black holes are portals to other dimensions.

-- Kristian Vikernes
malkuth
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:12 am

malkuth wrote:Well, to the outside observer it would seem as though the person cough in a black hole is being swirled and stretched into a homogeneous mass across the surface of the black hole.

No he wouldnt. If a person got sucked into a black hole, the gravitational forces would pull on them on all sides, thereby stretching them infinetely (?) long.
They would most certainly die.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby zero » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 am

Sure, they'll die eventually. But when? To the rest of the universe, depending on the mass, this process could be practically indistinguishable from suspended animation.
zero
Trionian

Postby malkuth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:18 am

papernuke wrote:
malkuth wrote:Well, to the outside observer it would seem as though the person cough in a black hole is being swirled and stretched into a homogeneous mass across the surface of the black hole.

No he wouldnt. If a person got sucked into a black hole, the gravitational forces would pull on them on all sides, thereby stretching them infinetely (?) long.

Next time you try to undermine my statements, at least read my previous post. Since you haven't, i will repeat that Stephen Hawking (you know, that physics guy) said that a person cought in a black hole wouldn't notice that something is wrong because in the same moment he would rematerialize in one of the parallel universes in which black holes do not exist.
This is not my statement, i was merely quoting.

-- Kristian Vikernes
malkuth
Mononian

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 am

malkuth wrote:
papernuke wrote:

Next time you try to undermine my statements, at least read my previous post. Since you haven't, i will repeat that Stephen Hawking (you know, that physics guy) said that a person cought in a black hole wouldn't notice that something is wrong because in the same moment he would rematerialize in one of the parallel universes in which black holes do not exist.

Maybe papernuke disagrees with Stephen Hawking. I'm not taking sides, but Stephen Hawking could be wrong; no one knows for sure whether black holes even exist, even less what would happen if someone fell into one. We're pretty sure they exist, but science has been wrong before.
postcount++;

Nick
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:43 pm

I dont completely disagree with Stephen HAwkings, but i just dont think some of his theories are correct, although some i do. [here]
--malkuth
Just because a scientists whose work is all based on theoretical knowledge, how do you know its true? How does he even know paralell universes exist?
Im not saying that my thing

is correct, but it might be. cant it? ITs not like Stephen Hawking is all - knowing.

[edit/add] [add to first line] for example, i watched this Nova show on Stephen Hawkings, and there was this one part talking about the singularity of a black hole, and about how all information which has been sucked into a black hole is lost forever. I beleive both ideas/theories are true, a singularity must exist because all the matter which has been sucked into a black hole the immense gravitiational forces must compress the matter beyond limits. The thing about the infomation getting lost is also true because nothing, even light (as you all know) can escape a black hole, so then all information is lost when it gets beyond the Schwartzchild* radius of the black hole, because nothign can escape then./

* spelling error
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby wotchadec » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:22 pm

If, by some miracle, you manage to survive the rediculous amount of crushing force, then living in a black hole would be very weird. As you approach the singularity, time and space as dimensions themselves would become stretched, meaning 1 second for you may be 100 seconds for everyone else (Known as time dilation, and yes, you would effectively, "go forward" in time.). However, because you cannot escape the black hole, time would continue to accelerate outside your space craft from your point of view at a continually fast pace. When you hit the singularity, you would see an infinite amount of time pass in an infinitely small amount of time.
From a person looking at you from the outside, you would simply seem to slow down as you reach the black hole. As you get closer, you will get slower and slower, until you appear to freeze. Then you will go in a change of colour from yellow, to red, until you go invisible (By which point you have entered the singularity).
wotchadec
Nullonian

Postby Kalabu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 am

Black Holes - explained. a black hole is an externally projected conscious energy pattern that eats the light (if you look at my other comments on this site about tetramatter farming and diridium I talk about individuals (memories) and building blocks. Anyway it is a being that is capable of actually farming stars as food and the light that it eats (which is everything including your holy spirit if they catch us) is a twisted physical reflection of life therefore also building blocks or individuals that can be reconstructed. EG:- the mind shreds apart a star then fuels his own mind through the fight the star gives it (thats the willpower of the star food trying to survive and also the willpower of the black hole that is grinding his mind to reconstruct you (elsewhere)) and then cycles the rest into his own personal construction and regeneration. I have seen what is left behind by a mind mouth that separates water into carbohydrates, light and lets say dry liquid where the light reconstitutes into sugar or back a stage towards star dust. The makeup of water molucles are the key construct pathway towards cells that flurish throught the multiverse. For the smart ones out there twists and refectitions projective or core based and we dial and call it all.
Kalabu
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 pm

wotchadec wrote:. As you approach the singularity, time and space as dimensions themselves would become stretched, meaning 1 second for you may be 100 seconds for everyone else

to you, nothing would be weird, it would be perfectly normal (other than the fact that you fell into a black hole)
only to observers it would be weird.
From a person looking at you from the outside, you would simply seem to slow down as you reach the black hole. As you get closer, you will get slower and slower, until you appear to freeze. Then you will go in a change of colour from yellow, to red, until you go invisible (By which point you have entered the singularity).

yeah something like that, although why would you change from yellow to red?
and also, once you get into the singularity, wouldn't you die then? because the singularity is infinitely small, so.. you would be crushed wouldn't you?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Max88831 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 pm

I dunno bout you guys but i wouldnt want to try that. THere definately is a point where the black holes will kill you. If oyu do eventually pass that part you are most likely going ot wind up in another part of space time (if the theory holds true). However i really want to see the inside of a black hole I bet it be very interesting who knows what oyu might find in it. :XP:
Max88831
Mononian

Postby WickedClown6 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:19 am

i'm new to all this, but what would happen if a liquid was..sucked..into a black hole?
WickedClown6
Nullonian

Postby papernuke » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:37 am

Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
The process of it going in would just look like when a whole bunch of dust particles are sucked into it. It'll probably just go in circles around it until it passes beyond the event horizon and you can't see it.
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?