Adanaxis Control Demo - proof-of-principle 4D shooter

Higher-dimensional geometry (previously "Polyshapes").

Adanaxis Control Demo - proof-of-principle 4D shooter

Postby southa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi all,

I've been busy writing a 4D first person shooter, and it does seem to work. There's not much to it so far, and only wireframe rendering, but it is playable. It uses colour to hint the extra axis. Once the target it is the right place you need to hold the mouse button down whilst you move the mouse left/right until it's the right colour (white). Space bar to fire. Links are:

Screenshot
Windows download
Mac download

If you have a go with it I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.
southa
Dionian

Postby pat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:14 pm

I played it a bit (the Mac version). It's pretty cool. But, there are way too many movement controls to keep straight.... on top of that, the 'move left/right' and 'move up/down' didn't appear to do anything for me except tell me what control I was trying to activate.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I could never get the shallow crescents or the cubes the whole way to white..... and shooting them at their brightest didn't work either.
pat
Tetronian

Postby southa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:09 pm

Sounds like you're trying to shoot the blue stuff. That's just backdrop - you need the read/white/green things. The backdrop won't respond to the move keys because it's a very long way away.

It should be possible to shoot everything just using the mouse. I put all ten control axes on the keypad just to show they were there :D. The roll planes are interesting (xy, xz and yz). Just as there's a single roll axis in 3D in which you can rotate your spaceship but remain 'aimed' at the target, there are these three with the same property in 4D.
southa
Dionian

Postby pat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:48 pm

Ahh... okay... it was unclear that the cubes and thin crescents were backdrop.... that makes more sense then... it also explains why I could never see them on the scanner.
pat
Tetronian

Postby southa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Ahh... okay... it was unclear that the cubes and thin crescents were backdrop....

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. It doesn't really work in wireframe, does it? You need some way of seeing the depth order to know what the backdrop is, like solid objects or stereoscopic tricks. Ah well. The textured/solid renderer is next on the list - hopefully that will help.
southa
Dionian

Return to Other Geometry