Typesetting Math on This Board

Higher-dimensional geometry (previously "Polyshapes").

Typesetting Math on This Board

Postby houserichichi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:36 pm

Can we typeset math at all on this board or are we limited to ascii and various html codings? Just curious, as Paul's been coming up with quite a bit lately, though I suspect they're graphics from another site. :?:
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:53 pm

Hello,

Yes... those are images linked to from my website.

Pat just gave me a link to a page have numeric character entities... my browser seems to display most of them...

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#a_dtd_Symbols
Paul
Trionian

Postby houserichichi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:28 pm

Thanks Paul!!

I made a nice big post of symbols and noticed that some of them didn't pop up visible. Curse Microsoft and their IE. Just to clarify though, there's no latex capabilities here?

Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ ΢ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ϊ Ϋ ά έ ή ί ΰ α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

∀ ∂ ∃ ∇ ∏ ∼ ⊕
houserichichi
Tetronian

Caveat Emptor

Postby pat » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:48 pm

WARNING THOUGH

If you go back and edit a post with these entities in it, be careful that your browser doesn't just show you the character in the edit box. When I go back and edit the post, the text doesn't say ⊕ it just shows the symbol ⊕. Then, when I go to submit the editted version back, the BB just eats all of those special characters.

So, if you're putting more than one or two such entities in a post, make sure that you use the Preview feature a bunch to get the post right the first time. It's probably not going to be worth your effort to go back through your post and replace all of those symbols if you want to edit.
pat
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:44 am

The other problem is that the code font is not a true fixed-width font, so it is very hard to present things (like pictures and matrices) via graphic art.

Code: Select all
                                                           a      b
  2         3-b      2        a          {3,3}       1     0
---         2         4       2a        {3,4}       r2    1      r2 = 1.41421356
4-2b       a        2a      3         {3,5}       fi      fi     fi   = 1.61803398875
                                             {3,6}      r3     2     r3  = 1.73205080757

The code in the above Stott-matrices for the 3D polytopes should line up
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:57 am

This is what i found when i looked at the source of a page.

Code: Select all
.code {
   font-family: Courier, 'Courier New', sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #006600;
   background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid;
   border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px
}

The last entry in the code entry should be monospace, not san-serif. The whole point of code-entry is to use a fixed-width font.

This pretty severely limits those of us who rely on fixed with fonts to do maths-layout and ascii-art diagrams.

Not overly fussed on the defining the font-size either. 11 is a pretty big font on a small screen size (eg 800*600), and a lot of the info gets wrapped.

W
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Return to Other Geometry