Two-dimensional vision

Higher-dimensional geometry (previously "Polyshapes").

Two-dimensional vision

Postby Nintendofreak » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:41 pm

If you were 2D, you would not be able to see anything because everything is infinitely thin, correct?

That sucks!
Nintendofreak
Mononian

Postby pat » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:54 pm

That's somewhat of a problem if photons are 3-d. But, if the entire universe were 2-d, then it wouldn't be an issue.

By analogy, if the universe is 4-d, we are infinitely thin... and so we can't see anything. But, we can... so either the universe is only 4-d, or photons are happy enough operating in 3-d.
pat
Tetronian

Postby Nintendofreak » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:23 am

@Pat

*is confused*
Nintendofreak
Mononian

Postby Rkyeun » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:54 pm

Realmlight allows us to see in realmspace.
2D objects don't actually exist, as far as we're concerned. We can't percieve them because they are too thin to react with anything.
Which means realmlight won't illuminate planespace.
But if they have their own planespace and can see, they probably use some kind of planelight, which still extends in rays radially outwards from the source. And instead of having an inverse-square law, it would just be an inverse-linear law for the dropoff of light over distance.

(>o

-O-

2D lamp shines planelight leftforward, rightforwards, and forwards.

-------------------------------------------

(\
(>o
(/

/|\
-O-
\|/

3D lamp shines realmlight leftforwards, upforwards, rightforwards, and downforwards. The extra dimension through which light spreads causes the inverse to gain an extra dimension, moving from inverse-linear to inverse-square.

*SIGH* Is there a nifty way to not compress out my whitespace so I can actually draw text illustrations for more complex models of things?
Rkyeun
Dionian

Postby pat » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:01 pm

Rkyeun wrote:*SIGH* Is there a nifty way to not compress out my whitespace so I can actually draw text illustrations for more complex models of things?

Wrap things in the "[code]" tag. It's ugly... but...
pat
Tetronian

Return to Other Geometry