transparancy

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

transparancy

Postby Keiji » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:47 pm

Yes, I'm going to talk about Fred again. :P

Anyway, imagine he has a piece of really long wire. He can make the wire into any 2-d shape he wishes - a line, a triangle, a square, a pentagon, a hexagon... etc. or a star, or an L-shape, or any other shape you can imagine.

No matter what Fred does, he can't see through the middle of the wire.

Now suppose Bob takes this thin piece of wire, he can see straight through it, because he has an extra dimension. So, Bob thinks about whatever interesting shape Fred has come up with, and decides to cut out a large sheet of paper, and fold it so that the wire lies just along the outside of the paper and all points on the wire are in contact with the paper. He then folds the paper up so it is a hollow object with no holes.

So now, Bob can't see through the paper, and nor can Fred, if he happens to intersect it with Fred's planespace.

And guess what - Emily takes the paper, and is able to see straight through it. So, she does the same as Bob, and takes an even larger swock, and folds it up so that the paper lies just along the outside of the swock, and (somehow) all points on the paper are in contact with the swock. After folding the swock up, she has yet another hollow object, which neither herself or Bob or Fred can see through.

Now, just for a minute forget about Emily's object, and imagine that she gives Bob's paper back to him. He decides to intersect it with Fred's planespace so that the edge of it lies on his plane where it will form a solid object at the intersection. Fred suddenly sees a solid object, the same shape as his wire, appear in front of him. He tries to bend the object, but he can't so he knows it's not the wire.

So, Fred goes off to his garage to get a drill, and drills a big rectangle through the object. Bob decides he doesn't want his inventions ruined, so takes it back from him. He sees that a rectangle has been cut out from one side.

Now, back to Emily's object. She decides to do the same that Bob just did, so intersects her swock with Bob's realmspace, and Bob tries to bend what looks like paper that had appeared right in front of him. He can't, so he knows it's not paper. He does the same as Fred and drills a hole through the object. When Emily takes the object back, she sees a big cylindrical hole running along one "cell" (is that what a 4-d face is called?)of her object.

------------------

Ok, would that all happen, by analogy?
Whee, my longest post ever made :P
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:03 pm

It sounds mostly valid, although i think fred could have the ability to bend bob's hollow paper shape (just as we can, if we poke it), and bob would be able to bend emily's shape too. The hole in emily's solid shape would be a little round hole just like the hole in bob's shape, if the the paper was really thin. The thicker the paper, the more like a cylinder the hole would look.

Yes, a 4-d face is called a cell.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:50 pm

Well if you try to bend a piece of paper without using the dimension perpendicular to the paper you will just tear it. So Fred can't bend 3-d paper.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:17 pm

yeah you're right, i forgot about that - since fred is infinitely thin, he is also infinitely sharp, so he would just poke right through bob's paper shape.

I just thought of a way for Fred to move into realmspace, if accidently - if bob puts a realmic object with a slope into realmspace, let's say something like a wedge, and Fred ran at it rather quickly, he would get peeled right out of planespace.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:20 pm

which is also how light and sound could get into planespace or any space from the dimension above it. so if you ever see a glowing cube which isn't made of something that glows, you've proven the 4th dimension.

... i just had a nasty thought, if you tried to touch it your finger would simply be skewed into the 4th dimension :shock: :shock: :shock:

so never touch glowing cubes :lol: :lol:
Keiji
Administrator

Postby sup2069 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:35 pm

bobxp wrote:which is also how light and sound could get into planespace or any space from the dimension above it. so if you ever see a glowing cube which isn't made of something that glows, you've proven the 4th dimension.

... i just had a nasty thought, if you tried to touch it your finger would simply be skewed into the 4th dimension :shock: :shock: :shock:

so never touch glowing cubes :lol: :lol:

Or what if all of the supposedly U.F.O encounters, where objects from the 4th dimension? People would describe balls of light swirling in the sky, then suddenly shoot off faster than the speed of light to nowhere. Or appeared out of nowhere for a few seconds then disappear again.

It could be a tetronian experimenting with a new way to send objects through to realm space, or merely teasing us.
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:39 pm

wow, every time i look over to the east when it's dark i see wierd lights going round in a circle beaming up to the sky, and the whole beam tilts from north to south and back again... is this a tetronian messing with us? :shock: :shock:
Keiji
Administrator

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions