object names

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

object names

Postby alkaline » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:59 pm

It has been decided that "duocylinder" isn't the best name for the 22 shape (circle cross circle). It has been suggested that we could use "duocircle". It looks like "duo-" has become a general prefix, meaning "shape formed from crossing X with itself". On a related subject, I think we need a name for "crossing" shapes with each other, since "cross" is already the name of a shape. We already have "technical" words for other transformations - "lathing", "extension"/"extrusion", "contrusion" (?).

As Polyhedron Dude mentioned to me privately, there are certain 4d concepts that aren't named yet:

vertical objects:
3d: pole (1d), wall (n-1 = 2d)
4d: pole (1d), [unnamed] (2d), wall (n-1 = 3d)

gaps:
horizontal hole: tunnel
vertical hole: shaft/pit
horizontal chasm: [unnamed]
vertical chasm: [unnamed] (suggestion: "alley")
vertical gully: [unnamed]
alkaline
Founder

Re: object names

Postby Aale de Winkel » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:32 am

alkaline wrote:vertical objects:
3d: pole (1d), wall (n-1 = 2d)
4d: pole (1d), [unnamed] (2d), wall (n-1 = 3d)

I assume "pole" here has nothing to do with the north and south pole but refers to a piece of material of certain length (discarding its other dimensions), like the "pole" those jumpers use when they leap over some 4m high horizontal rod (I don't know the english term for this sport.
The "wall" so refers to a 2d object of certain length and height, why this should have suddenly a width in the fourth dimension is beyond me, also in the third a wall has width, making it withstand my pounding upon it.

A 4d missed object, is the planetairy name for the lines equivalent to the meridian. As the "greenwich meridian" zeroth the latitude, I need something simular to zero the laptitude. As I already stated in my planetairy coordinate posting I'm a nitwit who doesnot believe in the solar equator (I can't do anything with it on a tetrasphere), but also in case the solar equator exists how are the lines call parallel to it(?)

Alley make some sense, since it is simular to those places where those alley-cats (or is it ally-cat) reside! For the horizontal version, putting a H in front would make it an Halley. though a Valley is I gather an Alley with a bottom.
just trying something :lol:
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:53 pm

Yes, i was referring to a "rod" type of pole. The sport you're talking about is "pole vaulting". So yes, pole refers to a piece of material with great height in comparison to its width and thickness measurements.

Well, a wall in tetraspace needs to be realmic for the same reason that walls are linear in planespace and planar in realmspace. Walls are basically an (n-1)-dimensional facet. In planespace, objects are bounded by edges, which are linear. In realmspace, they are bounded by faces, which are planar. In tetraspace, they are bounded by cells, which are realmic.

i'm not entirely clear what exactly a meridian is (even though i just read the definition). It sounds like its relation to longitude is that longitude is a measurement, and a meridian is a "longitude line" - the collection of all points with the same longitude measurement. Meridians are all great circles. The greenwich meridian is actually zero longitude, not latitude. As far as i know, there isn't a term for "latitude lines" (someone can correct me). Laptitude lines are "great spheres" like longitude lines are (on a tetronian planet), but latitude lines aren't.

As far as the solar equator goes, sometime i'll create a page that explains all of the planetary terms. The "lines" parallel to the solar equator are latitude, because the solar equator is "equivalent" to our equator.

Hmm, i think i like the "halley" word :-). Valley is already a geographical term though, so i don't want to re-assign it. We could just use "alley" for the vertical meaning.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Aale de Winkel » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:00 pm

just searching for the 3d-terms in my little encyclopedia I found that a meridian is actuallly a halve circle.
The mercator projection entry brought me to the term "loxodrome" as the curve that intersects al the meridians at the same angle.
couldn't find a definite term for the 90[sup]o[/sup] loxodromes but for the three special ones.

btw loxodrome I transformed from the dutch "loxodroom" through a regular anglification (so I might be wrong here).

strumbling a bit through mathworld, I conclude that the 90[sup]o[/sup] loxodrome is not allowed, and the equator is simply refered to as "great circle" while the other parallel lines are refered to as "small circles".
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions