Gymnastic High Bar

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Gymnastic High Bar

Postby PatrickPowers » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:35 am

In 4D the high bar of gymnastics could be two dimensional. In general, in N dimensions the high bar can be N-2 dimensional. Only two barless dimensions are needed to grab a bar then circle around it.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Re: Gymnastic High Bar

Postby DonSoreno » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:41 pm

Perhaps tetraspace inhabitants would have 2 different high bars, one that resembles a prismic cylinder and one that resembles a spherinder.

You can take the cartesian product of a 2d disk, and any arbitrary 2d shape, like a pentagon or a "H" shaped cut-out, to which you can attach a cubinder on all 4 corners, and thus you have a 4d wheel axle.
DonSoreno
Mononian

Postby PatrickPowers » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:30 am

My best guess is that gym bars would still be 1D. That both gives the athelete the maximum freedom and also minimizes cost. A potent combination.

So why did I bring it up? Because the idea of a 2D gym bar is mind boggling. I hope.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Postby PatrickPowers » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:32 am

Suppose you have a 1D gym bar in 5D. Then you could have two gymnasts doing giant circles on that bar in two planes whose intersection is a point. No danger of collision.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:34 pm

The gym bar would be something that separates height of a wall, that is N-2 dimensions. That's what is necessary to divide the space of the track.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby PatrickPowers » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:05 am

PatrickPowers wrote:Suppose you have a 1D gym bar in 5D. Then you could have two gymnasts doing giant circles on that bar in two planes whose intersection is a point. No danger of collision.

No you'd have to have the two gymnasts circling in disjoint planes. You could do that even in 3D, but in 5D the planes could be perpendicular.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Postby PatrickPowers » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:51 pm

Thinking more about this : gymnasts doing giant circles on a bar. Here in 3D you could have two or gymnasts doing giant circles on one bar. Take it a step further and you could have two perpendicular bars each with two or more gymnasts, as long as they all stay in sync. I would pay to see that.

In 4D I think you could have two perpendicular sets of gymnasts on a single 1D bar. It wouldn't be all that different.

In 5D you can have two perpendicular sets of gymnasts on a single 1D bar but the two sets don't have to be synchronized. Ho hum.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions