Generalizations of n-dimensional Inner Product Spaces

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Generalizations of n-dimensional Inner Product Spaces

Postby benb » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:45 pm

I liked increasing the quantity of orthants of a given space by increasing its dimension but I wanted to increase the denominator in the 2^n expression indicating the quantity of orthants of an n-dimensional space to any natural number. I think I may have found a way to make this computable and the results describe spaces and objects with unusual properties, including achirality. I have been writing up a draft of the constructions and findings and I think at this stage it may be of interest and benefit from feedback and perhaps discussion.
2020-03-28MultipolarEquations.pdf
(260.9 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
benb
Dionian

Re: Generalizations of n-dimensional Inner Product Spaces

Postby mr_e_man » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Do I understand this correctly?

The multipolar set MG(p) can be thought of as p rays sharing an endpoint. (This is shown in the first picture, with p=5.) A multipolar number is specified by two pieces of information: which ray it's on (an integer from 1 to p), and the distance from the endpoint (a positive real number). The rays correspond to elements of some algebraic group {g1, g2, ... , gp}.

Multipolar multiplication is defined by (a gj) * (b gk) = (a*b) (gj*gk), where a,b are positive real numbers, and gj,gk are elements of the group.

Multipolar addition ("consolidation") is defined piecewise:

(a gj) + (b gk) = {

(a + b) gj, if j = k;
(a - b) gj, if j =/= k, and a > b;
(b - a) gk, if j =/= k, and a < b.

Geometrically, you just add the numbers using the vector addition "parallelogram rule", then travel "diagonally" along the grid formed by the two rays until you hit one of them:

multipolarSet.png
multipolarSet.png (19.56 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

The "multipolar-to-real product" is defined by

mrp(a gj, b gk) = {

a*b, if j = k;
-a*b, if j =/= k.

All of this describes a "confield", which is considered one-dimensional; then we can construct an n-dimensional "convector space" as n-tuples of these numbers.
ΓΔΘΛΞΠΣΦΨΩ αβγδεζηθϑικλμνξοπρϱσςτυϕφχψωϖ °±∓½⅓⅔¼¾×÷†‡• ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁺⁻⁼⁽⁾₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉₊₋₌₍₎
ℕℤℚℝℂ∂¬∀∃∅∆∇∈∉∋∌∏∑ ∗∘∙√∛∜∝∞∧∨∩∪∫≅≈≟≠≡≤≥⊂⊃⊆⊇ ⊕⊖⊗⊘⊙⌈⌉⌊⌋⌜⌝⌞⌟〈〉⟨⟩
mr_e_man
Tetronian

Postby mr_e_man » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:39 pm

I suppose we could also define a "multipolar conjugate", analogous to the complex conjugate: (a gj)~ = a (gj-1).

More generally, any automorphism F of the group (that is, an invertible function that preserves the group structure: F(gj*gk) = F(gj)*F(gk) ) can be extended to the multipolar set, by defining F(a gj) = a F(gj). Then F is also an automorphism of the multipolar set: F(x*y) = F(x)*F(y), and F(x + y) = F(x) + F(y), where x,y are multipolar numbers.

But the multipolar conjugate has the special property that x~*x = |x|2 g1, where g1 is the group's identity. We could write g1 = 1, so that x~*x is a positive real number.
ΓΔΘΛΞΠΣΦΨΩ αβγδεζηθϑικλμνξοπρϱσςτυϕφχψωϖ °±∓½⅓⅔¼¾×÷†‡• ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁺⁻⁼⁽⁾₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉₊₋₌₍₎
ℕℤℚℝℂ∂¬∀∃∅∆∇∈∉∋∌∏∑ ∗∘∙√∛∜∝∞∧∨∩∪∫≅≈≟≠≡≤≥⊂⊃⊆⊇ ⊕⊖⊗⊘⊙⌈⌉⌊⌋⌜⌝⌞⌟〈〉⟨⟩
mr_e_man
Tetronian

Postby benb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Yes, "confield" is the algebraic structure and a multipolar set MG(p) would be an instance of that structure whose dimension may be considered in geometric terms as you described.

The visualizations indicate what I was getting at and map to my own early intuitions. That every coaxial pair of points on the continua they represent is separated by pi radians adds to the challenge of depiction.

You are correct regarding the possibility of defining a multipolar conjugate and defining it as 1. When that possibility is played out, it means that in some multipolar systems all numbers have square roots and in others 1 and | x |= 1 may have more than one square root.
benb
Dionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions