Graphics for seasons on mundane 3D Earth

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Graphics for seasons on mundane 3D Earth

Postby PatrickPowers » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am

I'm working on graphics for a 4D planet, it's seasons and climate and so forth. To gain confidence I'm doing it correctly it is being done first in 3D, as I know what the answers should be.

The basic idea is to draw a sphere, showing the climate at each point. The usual way to show time is through animation, but here is a different way. On 3D Earth every point with the same latitude has the same climate as every other, so that would be rather redundant. So I thought, why not in the graphic use longitude for time instead? That is, circling around the Earth longitudinally shows the change in daily solar energy over time at that latitude.

Latitude : As usual
Longitude: Time. Once around the Earth is a year.
Color: Solar energy per day

Here's what it looks like.

3D seasons Earth 1.png
3D seasons Earth 1.png (55.29 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

The maximum and minimum daily solar energies both occur at the poles, half a year apart. Here's the other pole, which has the same climate half a year out of phase.

The attachment 3D seasons Earth 1.png is no longer available

As you can see, the equator is hot all year, the temperate zones are temperate, etc. I don't know why the sphere is so oblate: it seems to be just appearance, as the graph's axes seem to be correct. It's strange that the yellow and light blue bands are so narrow.
Attachments
3D seasons Earth 2.png
3D seasons Earth 2.png (56.2 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions