four dimensional thickness terms

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Which of the following terms for four dimensional thickness do you prefer?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:14 pm

tridth/tride/trin
25%
tetridth/tetride/tetrin
25%
trength/trong/tarrow
50%
i'd prefer a different option
No votes

Total votes : 4

four dimensional thickness terms

Postby alkaline » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:14 pm

choose your favorite...

summary of opinions so far:

-tridth/tride/trin is misleading because it suggests an affililiation with the third dimension (because of tri-) vs. being a fourth dimension term.

-tetridth/tetride/tetrin has two syllables, and furthers the overuse of the "tetra" prefix.
Last edited by alkaline on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
alkaline
Founder

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:42 pm

we either need more people to vote, or we need suggestions for terms that more people would agree to.
alkaline
Founder

Postby sup2069 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:24 pm

alkaline wrote:we either need more people to vote, or we need suggestions for terms that more people would agree to.

I like the 3rd option, it seems easier to relate to and less confusing than the others! :D
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:53 am

I don't see the overkill of the tetra prefix, I still prefer the second option, though my second choise will be the third listed, since the first one is far too confusing.
The first option is still promoted in the glossary though, with the second option above listed as alternate.
(perhaps the second option can be promoted as "technical alternate" to the third option listed above, the second option is far more easily generalized to higher dimensions, pentridth, hextridth, heptridth ... etc.)
You see that the first option fits this sequence, but relating to the third direction and NOT the fourth.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions