Etymology of some basic terms

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Etymology of some basic terms

Postby hy.dodec » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:58 am

Sorry for this low quality question.

Does anyone know the etymology of facet, ridge and peak?

I can think that facet is came from facet, because the mean of facet similar as face.
But I have no idea of ridge and peak, especially ridge.. :cry:
hy.dodec
Dionian

Re: Etymology of some basic terms

Postby wendy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 am

Think of these as their 3D versions.

A facet is something a jeweller cuts, is a different word to 'face', and is what you make when you 'facet' (spread bounding surfaces in) something. I use 'face' in the PG for this.

A ridge is the boundry between two faces or facets, is the line-shaped boundary that on a sphere, is higher than anywhere else (i use margin for this).

A peak is that the faces raise to a point at the second-margin in 3D.

In the PG, all words from /face/ refer to N-1 dimensions, so facing, facet, face, surface. The 2d element is a hedron (2d patch), part of a hedrix.

The word 'edge' in common use means a boundary of a closed space of indefinite space. So the edge of the galaxic state is shown as a 2d defence system, and the edge of the plate is the ring around the interior. I use latron for 1d line, and latrix (eg a piece of string or cotton), for the open 1d cloth (eg cotton on the spool).

Peak is still kept in the sense of raised thing, but it can acquire dimensionality. Appiculation is to raise peaks or pyramids on each face of a polytope. bi-apiculated is to raise peaks whose apexes are lines perpendicular to the margins they are above, and so forth.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby hy.dodec » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 am

Thanks for your reply!

wendy wrote:A ridge is the line-shaped boundary that on a sphere.

Sorry, but what's the line-shaped boundary that on a sphere?
hy.dodec
Dionian

Postby wendy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 am

The reason that i don't use these terms is because where the thing is 'planar'.

The facet-ridge-peak thing comes from thing that the polytope is a spherical shape, where the faces are flat and the angles are easy. So between the facets, you go over a ridge, if you are on the surface like an ant. These ridges end in peaks.

I use margin and second-margin for solids, and 'cell' and 'wall' for tilings. Tilings (of any dimension), have cells (think of a cell as a bubble in a foam), and cells are divided by walls. Walls meet at sills. (the double-l thing is intentional, but 'cellular automata' refers to cells of tilings of any dimensions.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions