A project for a 4D Chess Variant.

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

A project for a 4D Chess Variant.

Postby Angel4D » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:27 pm

I am developing a chess variant of four spatial dimensions, inspired by the videogame "miegakure" and the game "chesseract".

So, due to its nature, I created this thread to receive advice or suggestions from you, the higher space community, to achieve to create this game; as well as give information about the development of the chess variant.
The base of the game (the board) is already ready, and also some important mechanics.
I just need to decide the location, names, and skills of the large range of pieces that it will have; although I also accept receiving criticism or suggestions about finished aspects.

Description of basis:

Board:

Unlike others three-dimensional and fourth-dimensional chess variants, I decided to give strange and unusual mechanics to the game, pieces and board.
One important detail about the board is that it has an irregular shape, unlike the most of boards.

Board will have a size of 8x2x8x3, that can be represented by six common boards: three boards together horizontally, and other three over these three.

The top three boards represent "air", while the lower "land".
Since now these "common boards used to represent the fourth-dimensional board" will be called "layers".

Images of the possible board:
Transverse 2D view (2D cuts):
http://i.imgur.com/4kAavvn.png
Transverse 3D view (3D cuts):
http://i.imgur.com/qWQslNp.png
(Note that pieces can be placed over the two layers of each of the three 3D cut of the real 4D board)

Types of pieces:

This chess variant, will have different types of pieces, better explained: This chess variant, will have pieces able to go only in land and unable to access the fourth dimension, others able to go in land layer and air layer, others able to move fourth-dimensionally to the other land layers, etc.

This is the classification:

- Land pieces: These only can go through the surface comprised by the x and z axis, ie, only can move horizontally, inside of one land layer (lower board).

- Flying pieces: These can go through the volume comprised by the x, y and z axis, inside one land and one air layers, horizontally and vertically. These CAN NOT move fourth-dimensionally to horizontally adjacent layers.

- Transcendental pieces: These can go through the hypersurface comprised by axis x, z and w. Ie, these can move fourth-dimensionally to horizontally adjacent layers (but not vertically).
There is a minor class of transcendental piece, more powerful: trascendental flying pieces or omnidirectional pieces.
These pieces (trascendental flying) can move within the hypervolume comprised within the axis (x, y, z, w axis) hyper-horizontally (through horizontally adjacent boards or layers) and vertically (to the vertically adjacent board, air and land layers), ie, through the totallity of the 4D board.

I thought in the use of classical chess pieces (all these [excepting king] will be land pieces, unable to move vertically or hyper-horizontally).
King will be a transcendental land piece, able to move one step to any direction inside the hypersurface comprised by the x, z and w axis (but not vertically).

There is also some more planned pieces:
Pantheon (that is basically a 4D rook, but unable to move vertically, ie, a trascendental land piece that can move orthogonally through the hypersurface comprised by x, z and w axis).

Presenting guardians of the fourth dimension:
"Guardians of fourth dimension" are special pieces. All these are transcendental flying pieces, so, these can move hyper-horizontally and vertically, inside the totallity of the entire 4D board. However, these pieces are slow, these only can move one step by turn.

These are the pieces:
Tesseract guardian:
this piece would have a tesseract shadow shape or, in its defect, a cube shape. Tesseract guardian can move one step orthogonally (like rook) or diagonally (like bishop), but only one step.
3D representation of its movement on a 5x5x5x5 board:
http://i.imgur.com/PePFyTl.png

Hyper-diamond guardian:
this piece would have a orthoplex (16-cell) shadow shape or, in its defect, a crossed cube or octahedron shape. Hyper-diamond guardian can move one step diagonally (like bishop) or trigonally (through cubic diagonals, ridges of the hypercube), but only one step.
http://i.imgur.com/dQ8UASF.png

Octocube guardian:
this piece would have a octoplex (24-cell) shadow shape or, in its defect, a octahedron or cuboctahedron shape. Octocube guardian can move one step trigonally (through cubic diagonals, ridges of the hypercube) or quadragonally (through hypercubic diagonals, peaks of the hypercube) but only one step.
http://i.imgur.com/D0he3Mn.png

2D representation of the movement of the three previous fourth-dimensional guardians, in 5x5x5x5 boards:
http://i.imgur.com/QoDa6hG.jpg

I will still updating this topic for give information about the development of the game, but it is possible to follow the development of the chess variant more nearly on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/chessvariants/comments/6lmnbb/a_project_for_a_4d_chess_variant/)
Last edited by Angel4D on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Angel4D
Nullonian

Re: A project for a 4D Chess Variant.

Postby Mercurial, the Spectre » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 am

Wow! Looks fascinating!

Anyways, would you mind clarifying some details and reducing the size of these pictures? I know it is a pain to read all of those, especially with pictures that fill the entire screen.

By the way, the 24-cell (o3x3o4o) can only have 16-cell symmetry if you are using a tesseract-shaped board. Can you design a 24-cell board (they can tile 4D space) for this variant?
Mercurial, the Spectre
Trionian

Re: A project for a 4D Chess Variant.

Postby Angel4D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for the support :D

Already I changed the images by links (since I could not find a way to decrease their size using the bb format of the forum).

About the idea of making a geometry board 24 cell:
I suppose it is possible to do it, but it must be complicated, since you are asking me for something similar to making a three-dimensional board of rhombic dodecahedrical geometry, or even a 3D hyperbolic board.

Anyway, I can consider the idea for some chess minivariant (of size as chesseract variant), or for some experiment.
For now, I am having problems designing this chess variant, it is not a good idea to add more parallel developments. :roll:
Angel4D
Nullonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions