Anyons

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Anyons

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 pm

I read in this article that in two dimensions its possible for there to be particles known as anyons that neither have half integer spin nor integer spin but in all numbers of dimensions greater than two particles either have integer spin or half integer spin.

http://www.askamathematician.com/2011/1 ... -rotation/
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: Anyons

Postby ICN5D » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:04 am

That's interesting. The 2D electromagnetic vortex reminds me of the way hurricanes behave (which are largely 2D). They always seemed kind of particle-like to me, behaving like a 'solid' object, made entirely out of rotating air/moisture.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:29 pm

I wonder if bosons and fermions would still exist in 2d or if all 2d particles would be anyons.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby ICN5D » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Well, that's the thing. The main difference between the two is they're either integer or half-integer spins. So, if in 2D, all particles (anyons) can have any spin value, then something with integer/half-integer would be rather rare. They may exist, but they'd be overrun with all of the irrational number spins as well, which would be way more common, given they can exist that way.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby PatrickPowers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:39 pm

An anyon is a quasiparticle, not a particle. It is some entity that can be described mathematically as if it were a particle. Quasiparticles may have velocity and momentum, and interact with one another.

The examples with which I am somewhat familiar are phonons, skyrmions, and the Cooper pairs of superconductivity. These are ensembles of particles that have some sort of durable energetic connection.

Anyons are a more abstract sort of quasiparticle having to do with two entangled particles that have rotated around one another in 2D space, forming a braid in 2+1 spacetime. They potentially may be used in a topological quantum computer. The basic idea is that the two particles in the quasiparticle will interact in a way that depends upon their path in the past! The particles may destroy each other if the winding number is zero, but not otherwise. It's hard to believe.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions