Brief 1: Energy transfer in 2D to 3D conversion

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Brief 1: Energy transfer in 2D to 3D conversion

Postby fic-tion » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:20 am

I want to share how we can think about energy, in particular light, in different dimensions via a couple of short briefs, this one being the first one to get our feet wet.

First let's start in 2D. Think of a two dimensional plane. In 3D we have a pin (a line) that will rip a hole in the 2D plane at spot X,Y and create a void in this plane where there once was a flat "link". The infinitesimally small point where the break in the plane happens is now a vacuum, a theoretically non-existent "point", akin to what a black hole is in 3D space. The 2D "atom" in spot X was displaced, it entered 3D space and gained a new characteristic: its position along the Z axis. This 2D atom traveled along a new dimensional axis and it is now in spot X,Y,Z with respect to the 2D plane, Z being a perpendicular vector with two directions in this new dimension ("up" and "down", thinking that the 2D plane was parallel to "our (3D beings)" floor.

However, there must have been energy at equilibrium to keep the line being "ordered" in this state otherwise it wouldn't even be a line it would just be entropy. There is an infinite amount of energy in that system, and it is in equilibrium keeping the 2D plane nice and tight.

Now you poke an infinitesimally small hole and the energy holding together this one little void in place has to go somewhere (this is when it is "pushed" to another dimension, transferred to 3D). So because there is a vacuum in this new void, the rest of the system energy forms pressure to fill this whole, like the pressure that a bubble would experience at the bottom of the ocean. And like a chain reaction, each "pull" generates another one and it propagates to both ends of the 2D plane. A jerking motion. Up to infinity on each side of the line. This is a two-dimensional wave that propagates through this "line universe" because there only exists a "line" vector, circles are only visible from the third dimension.

I need someone to confirm that they understand this so I can explain the next part, an explanation of sound and light waves. Please tell me this makes sense to you or why it doesn't so I can delve deeper.
fic-tion
Nullonian

Re: Brief 1: Energy transfer in 2D to 3D conversion

Postby Prashantkrishnan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:33 am

fic-tion wrote:I want to share how we can think about energy, in particular light, in different dimensions via a couple of short briefs, this one being the first one to get our feet wet.

First let's start in 2D. Think of a two dimensional plane. In 3D we have a pin (a line) that will rip a hole in the 2D plane at spot X,Y and create a void in this plane where there once was a flat "link". The infinitesimally small point where the break in the plane happens is now a vacuum, a theoretically non-existent "point", akin to what a black hole is in 3D space. The 2D "atom" in spot X was displaced, it entered 3D space and gained a new characteristic: its position along the Z axis. This 2D atom traveled along a new dimensional axis and it is now in spot X,Y,Z with respect to the 2D plane, Z being a perpendicular vector with two directions in this new dimension ("up" and "down", thinking that the 2D plane was parallel to "our (3D beings)" floor.

I believe that piercing a pin through a plane would create a hole in it only if that plane were represented by a solid in our point of view. If you consider the plane to be in vacuum, then the pin would just pass through the plane without leaving any mark of its having crossed the plane.

However, there must have been energy at equilibrium to keep the line being "ordered" in this state otherwise it wouldn't even be a line it would just be entropy. There is an infinite amount of energy in that system, and it is in equilibrium keeping the 2D plane nice and tight.

I don't exactly get what you mean here.

Now you poke an infinitesimally small hole and the energy holding together this one little void in place has to go somewhere (this is when it is "pushed" to another dimension, transferred to 3D). So because there is a vacuum in this new void, the rest of the system energy forms pressure to fill this whole, like the pressure that a bubble would experience at the bottom of the ocean. And like a chain reaction, each "pull" generates another one and it propagates to both ends of the 2D plane. A jerking motion. Up to infinity on each side of the line. This is a two-dimensional wave that propagates through this "line universe" because there only exists a "line" vector, circles are only visible from the third dimension.

You are saying that all the particles in a plane would try to move towards a region of vacuum in order to fill it up and you are taking its analogy with a bubble in the ocean. The ocean, being in the liquid state, and having the ability to change its shape, will surely fill the bubble as its potential energy is lowest in that shape. Going back to the situation in the plane, we can consider the following cases:

1. If the pin passes through a planar region of vacuum, it leaves no mark.
2. If the pin passes through a planar region filled with a gas, then the probability is more that the pin will not touch any gaseous particles. If by chance it takes away a gaseous particle with it, the remaining particles will just behave in their usual way. There will be no "tearing" of the plane.
3. If the pin passes through a planar region filled with a liquid, then it may take with it a few microscopic particles, though in the macroscopic scale, the plane is unaffected. The disturbance caused would be small and short-lived.
4. Finally, if it were a solid planar region, a hole would be made to just remain there. Suppose there is a 3D solid wooden block with a hollow region in its interior. It would not affect the block at all.

I don't get what you are saying about the line universe.
People may consider as God the beings of finite higher dimensions,
though in truth, God has infinite dimensions
Prashantkrishnan
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions