Even Dimensional Waves

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Re: Even Dimensional Waves

Postby CollIB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 pm

What about solitons in 4D then? A 2D soliton wave can travel without distorsion, isn't possible that in 4D? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton
CollIB
Mononian

Postby quickfur » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

CollIB wrote:What about solitons in 4D then? A 2D soliton wave can travel without distorsion, isn't possible that in 4D? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton

Interesting... perhaps it's possible. But the mathematics involved are way out of my league. :(
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:03 pm

So perhaps in 4d life would tend to avoid using sound as a way of communicating given how unreliable sound would be and would tend to use other means of communication such as bioluminescence instead of using sound. Perhaps in 4d most life would be deaf as there wouldn't be enough of a benefit from detecting sound to favor hearing.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby CollIB » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:20 am

anderscolingustafson wrote:So perhaps in 4d life would tend to avoid using sound as a way of communicating given how unreliable sound would be and would tend to use other means of communication such as bioluminescence instead of using sound. Perhaps in 4d most life would be deaf as there wouldn't be enough of a benefit from detecting sound to favor hearing.

I think it depends on how strong is the damping effect of the echoes, like when you have an oscillating L-C circuit, if its quality factor is low, then only 2 or 3 periods will happen, so I don't think sound communications are impossible, but surely different than in 3D.
CollIB
Mononian

Postby quickfur » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 am

CollIB wrote:[...]
I think it depends on how strong is the damping effect of the echoes, like when you have an oscillating L-C circuit, if its quality factor is low, then only 2 or 3 periods will happen, so I don't think sound communications are impossible, but surely different than in 3D.

That's an interesting thought. What if the sound is transmitted through a highly non-elastic medium that has a high damping factor? That could offset the effect of the echoes. But of course, it will also limit the range of sound and some muffling will happen regardless, so crisp sound like we have in 3D will probably be impossible.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 am

It's interesting, but well beyond my mathematical ability(?). Still, they figured out that MH370 (A malayasian flight from KL to peking, that went missing in 2014 mar), went south by using the doppler effect, so i imagine that various things in 4d could figure out the consist of sounds from the various waveforms.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby CollIB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:20 pm

quickfur wrote:
CollIB wrote:[...]

That's an interesting thought. What if the sound is transmitted through a highly non-elastic medium that has a high damping factor? That could offset the effect of the echoes. But of course, it will also limit the range of sound and some muffling will happen regardless, so crisp sound like we have in 3D will probably be impossible.

I can imagine a way for sound communication. The creatures need a special ear, like the lateral line on fishes. They need to make a sound, which is only one harmonic, which will create a specific pattern in the medium they are in. The communication then is not by the sound itself, but an amplitude modulation. So, the echoes, the sound itself will be the medium, where the amplidude change will travel without distorsion.
CollIB
Mononian

Previous

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions