Solar Eclipses

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Solar Eclipses

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:51 am

Would a planet with a moon in 2d have a solar eclipse more often than a planet with a moon in 3d?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: Solar Eclipses

Postby ICN5D » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 am

That's an easy one, absolutely! In fact, it will happen every time the 2D moon passes around. It's totally unavoidable. And, conversely, a 4D moon has even less of a chance at eclipse than a 3D moon, because of the extra amount of space to deviate in.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:30 am

And would a solar eclipse on a 2d planet with a moon also last longer?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby ICN5D » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 am

Well, that depends on relative size in the sky and orbital speed. A 2D moon will have a 1D edge facing the 2D sun and planet. The radius of the moon would make what's called an "apparent size", where if closer, it would simply look bigger. It's pure coincidence that our moon is just about the same relative size as our sun. Crazy think is, the sun is roughly 420,000 times wider than the moon, but the sun happens to be roughly 420,000 times further away. The larger size is compensated perfectly by its distance. A larger 2D moon at the same distance would make a longer eclipse, a smaller one is shorter. But, of course as mentioned at the beginning, a smaller 2D moon that moves slower will still make for a longer eclipse. Now, if the moon is much smaller in the sky, relatively speaking, you would get a partial eclipse. The same size or larger makes a total eclipse, that is, complete obstruction. Smaller would still be in front of the sun, but the outer portion of the moon would have sun exposed all the way around.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions