What about a 4D maze?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

What about a 4D maze?

Postby LutherX » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 am

I was just enjoying the beauty of 4D functions on my copy of the graphing software DPGraph, and thinking about what it meant to call a 4D hyperspace a "space" when we humans can only imagine navigating a 4th dimension with time, when suddenly it occurred to me.

As I thought of how to navigate the interior formed by the plotted function (it was this one by the way: cos[x^2]+sin[y^2]+cos[z^2]-|sin[time]|=0) I saw how you would have to move through the 4th dimension to make it to certain locations without crossing any walls, and wondered what it would be like to try to find your way through a 4D maze, one with tunnels going in all three directions, as well as including the ability to move in the 4th direction, which would produce the appearance of the 3D maze morphing and transforming into a new maze, causing new passages to appear and making others disappear.

It could be like a game, where the maze is generated (or manually designed) so that the walls of each 4D section correspond to the one before and after it so that they would, when run in sequence, causing the maze to appear as if it were morphing and not just than flickering.

I wish I had the programming experience to do something like this, but does anyone with experience think that it even sounds feasible?

Also, given a in-game character and a 5th dimension, certain dangers like lava patches or other states of patches of walls could change according to their position in 5th dimension. Overall that would make for a very complicated maze, and I think it would be cool. Any thoughts?
LutherX
Nullonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions