New user with some ideas

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

New user with some ideas

Postby Ryush806 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:36 am

hi all. as you can tell from the subject i'm new so if i get things mixed up just correct me.

anyway, i was wondering...

when you take a line (1d) and bend it, the shape formed, such as a semi-circle, is a 2d object. similarly, when you bend a plane (2d), the shaped formed is like a archway(3d). doesn't it follow that bending a cube or other 3d object would somehow create a 4d object. i know that if you did this in "our" universe it would just create a crooked cube, but in a 4d universe would it be like bending the line or the plane for us?

just thinkin',
Ryan
Ryush806
Nullonian

Postby alkaline » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:02 am

welcome to the forum!

you're exactly right, it would create a curved 4d shape, a shape that people from tetraspace would use for arches.

Good to see people using their brains :-)
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:44 pm

Wouldn't they use extruded spheres, rather like we use extruded circles?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:14 am

what do you mean by extruded circle/extrude sphere - are you talking about the shape of a dome = a hemisphere/hemiglome?
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:58 pm

By extruding a circle, a cylinder is formed. (2 -> 21)
So, by extruding a sphere, a spherinder is formed. (3 -> 31)

To create a sphere you lathe a circle. (2 -> 3)
To create a glome you lathe a sphere. (3 -> 4)

If you lathe a square, you get a cylinder (11 -> 12)
If you lathe a cube, you get a cubinder (111 -> 112)

If you lathe a cylinder one way, you get a spherinder... (12 -> 13)
... and if you lathe a cylinder the other way, you get a duocylinder (12 -> 22)

Understand?
Last edited by Keiji on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:02 pm

Yep i understand quite well as i've done a bit of thinking on these kinds of shapes - i just wasn't sure what you meant by "extrude". I have used the word "extend" throughout my pages for the same concept. The reason i didn't understand your comment about extruded spheres and circles is that we were talking about arches - the inverse of a solid shape, because it is a "hole" to walk through. In any case, what did you mean?
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:05 pm

A torus is a cylinder bent round into a circle. An arch is half of a torus. So, by extruding a circle and bending it, you get an arch.

By analogy, by extruding a sphere and bending it, you will get a 4d arch.

Then again, how many people build their arches out of rubber? :lol:
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:16 pm

i kind of see arch building in a different way - for a 3d arch, you would take a 3d wall, and subtract out a hemicylinder. for a 4d arch, you would take a 4d wall, and subtract out a hemi-spherinder. You could have something that was half-arch and half-square if you subtracted out a hemi-cubinder. To me, it seems like a more intuitive way to "construct" an arch.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:09 am

If you want an arch that has an entrance and an exit, then it would be best to use the hemisphere arch. If you want an arch that allows people to come in and out from a circle of directions - use the bent cube style arch.

Polyhedron Dude
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:04 pm

so by this second style of arch - one that allows people to come in and out from a circle of directions - do you mean one that is more decorative than anything?
alkaline
Founder

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:57 am

A bent cube arch would allow entry from a whole plane of directions - consider a cube that starts on the marp side and bends upwards and then curves back down on the garp side - you could enter this arch from the east, the west, the north, the south, and all directions in between! - to make it more decorative, maybe we could curve a gocco instead of a cube (gocco is the great cubicuboctahedron - it has 6 octagrams (8 pointed stars), 6 squares under the octagrams, and 8 triangles as faces).

Polyhedron Dude
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:36 am

bobxp wrote:By extruding a circle, a cylinder is formed. (2 -> 21)
So, by extruding a sphere, a spherinder is formed. (3 -> 31)

To create a sphere you lathe a circle. (2 -> 3)
To create a glome you lathe a sphere. (3 -> 4)

If you lathe a square, you get a cylinder (11 -> 12)
If you lathe a cube, you get a cubinder (111 -> 112)

If you lathe a cylinder one way, you get a cubinder... (12 -> 112)

Understand?

The extrusion process is clear to me.
Lathing at first sight:
I get confused by the process of lathing though, "lathing" the circle into a sphere, and the sphere into a glome, means that one further direction kicks in. Doing the same thing with a square I get the cubinder and not the cylinder, this corresponds with the formula for the cubinder. (In my view a line gets "lathed" into a cylinder!)

If you can "lathe" a cylinder into a duocylinder you must have quite another picture of the duocylinder then I have, which looks more like a duo-circle, then the penta-space duocylinder I can extract from the formula I have for the tetra-space "duocylinder".

Lathing at second sight:
If lathing means encircling one of the direction I indeed see the square turned into a cylinder, and the cube into something that might be a cubinder.
This way however I can also lathe a cylinder into a spherinder, forming the cubinder is more like extrusion of the cylinders linear part, and indeed lathing the cylinders lineair part does indeed gives something without lineair part and the picture might be of the duocylinder I know about.

A trionian getting tetronically confused :lol:
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:55 pm

bobxp wrote:If you lathe a cylinder one way, you get a cubinder... (12 -> 112)

It looks like bobxp mispoke for the first cylinder lathing. Extrusion is basically adding a '1' to the code, and lathing is incrementing one of the numbers in the code. Thus, lathing a cylinder one way gives you a spherinder (12 -> 13), and lathing it the other way gives you a duocylinder (12 -> 22).
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:02 pm

Stupid me! ::goes to fix::
Keiji
Administrator

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions