Question regarding the unfoldings of a tesseract

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Question regarding the unfoldings of a tesseract

Postby wwwmwww » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Hello,

This is my first post here. I've been looking for some info and came across this thread here in this forum so I thought this would be a good place to ask.
http://teamikaria.com/hddb/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=587

Always I'm aware there are 261 unfoldings of a tesseract. Each is made up of 8 cubes. So I want to know if these 261 unfoldings will fit into a 29x9x8 box. I'm aware of some polycube solvers but I don't know how to get this set of 261 order=8 polycubes in a format I can use. Anyone have a list of all 261 which gives the x,y,z positions of the eight 1x1x1 cubes in each?

If the answer is yes, AND they can be disassembled (a seperate question as I could envision sets which might fit but which would be locked together). I may make a set of all 261 available on Shapeways.

Thanks,
Carl
wwwmwww
Nullonian

Re: Question regarding the unfoldings of a tesseract

Postby phoenix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:28 am

It should be noted 261 = 29 * 9, so the amount of space that we're putting these nets (unfoldings) into equals the amount of space the nets (unfolded hypercubes) use.

As far as getting a list of combinations, http://unfolding.apperceptual.com/ might work (I searched "hypercube net 261"). I only skimmed that document, but it's probably going to be either figuring out something like that, or doing it by hand / programming. Seeing what other people have might at least hint at some kind of algorithm.

Higher than 4-dimensions and most of the work just isn't there, including the 5-cube.
phoenix
Mononian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions