survey about 4d terms

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

survey about 4d terms

Postby alkaline » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of a term for the generalization one dimension up from row & column. The first dimension is a single row with multiple columns, each column with only one element. The second dimension adds multiple rows. What is a single row/column matrix as a unit? I was thinking that maybe the term "aisle" would work, using the analogy of theater seating. Then, when you extend rows and columns into the third dimension, you get multiple aisles.

Also, Aale de Winkel pointed out that the terms "tride", "trin", and "tridth" for four-dimensional thickness cause an association with "three" because of the tri- prefix, and makes it sound like it should be a three-dimensional measurement. Does anyone have suggestions for replacement terms?
alkaline
Founder

terminology

Postby Aale de Winkel » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:58 am

When I had a non-zero "tetradth" I would probably have a seperate term for the monagonals with changing x[sub]4[/sub] (ie [[sub]j[/sub]k]<[sub]4[/sub]1,[sub]l[/sub]0>).
Due to my work on the magic hypercube I dispensed with terms like row, column, pilar etc. and use the term monagonal, diagonal, triagonal, tetragonal, pentagonal etc.
Once you get used to these terms, it will become most easily to avoid confusion. but terms like "monadth", "biadth" and "triadth" probably wont substitute "length", "width" and "height".
But n-adth would be the systematic "length" along the n'th monagonal, in my own notation [[sub]j[/sub]k] <[sub]n[/sub]1,[sub]l[/sub]0>.
see the magic encyclopedia.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Re: terminology

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:12 am

Aale de Winkel wrote:When I had a non-zero "tetradth" I would probably have a seperate term for the monagonals with changing x[sub]4[/sub] (ie [[sub]j[/sub]k]<[sub]4[/sub]1,[sub]l[/sub]0>).
Due to my work on the magic hypercube I dispensed with terms like row, column, pilar etc. and use the term monagonal, diagonal, triagonal, tetragonal, pentagonal etc.
Once you get used to these terms, it will become most easily to avoid confusion. but terms like "monadth", "biadth" and "triadth" probably wont substitute "length", "width" and "height".
But n-adth would be the systematic "length" along the n'th monagonal, in my own notation [[sub]j[/sub]k] <[sub]n[/sub]1,[sub]l[/sub]0>.
see the magic encyclopedia.

I looked at your page a little bit and i couldn't find the part that describes your notation when i was trying to navigate through the site. I did find something about r-agonals on your site by using google though (the page on r-agonals) - but i'm still unsure about the notation. Could you post a short explanation of the notation here for the benefit of other visitors?

I see the terms row, column, etc as being distinct from n-agonals - they refer to parallel lines of data verses the edges/interior lines of an n-cube. The two sets of terms are used in different contexts - except, it seems, for your work which seems to be n-dimensional sets of numbers that add up to certain values. But, even then, i would see it referring to different things - you would say something has three rows, but would you say it has three monagonals? As you mention, the term pillar has been used in the context of magic cubes for the sequence of row, column, etc - but has it been used in any other contexts?

I think an ending of -idth sounds just a little bit better to my ears for some reason, maybe because of its similarity to width. So, maybe "tetridth" instead of "tetradth"? But what would be the analogous terms for wide and thin - would they be "tetride" and "tetrin"?
alkaline
Founder

Postby alkaline » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:12 pm

The discussion about the term after row/column (aisles, sheets, pillars, etc) was previously moved to:

http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

The discussion about Aale's notation has moved to:

http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

On the subject of terms for four dimensional thickness, what does everyone else think about the terms "tetridth", "tetride", and "tetrin"?
alkaline
Founder

Postby alkaline » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:02 pm

this subject seems to have moved to this thread:

http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
alkaline
Founder

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions